• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA SxS shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi anyone here shoot a CVA SxS 12ga or has had one in the past ? How do you like it ?

LHunter;

I've got one. Built it as a kit too many years ago to recall now. FWIW the stock is pretty low grade, straight grain Beech or something. The locks are decent as are the triggers and barrels. I had to do a little trimming on both sears as they touched when I finished assembling the gun. The stock is also way too high combed for me and the trigger pull is too short. I'm in the process of restocking it in burled Maple. For the price I got it at it's a pretty good gun though. I couldn't touch the parts to build a custom for what it cost me. In time I hope to re-breech it and put a couple of flintlocks on it.

Dick

Had one several years ago, had problems with the main springs, wouldnt snap the cap. Replaced springs , seemed ok. traded off for a differant gun.

I have one. I built it from a kit about fifteen years ago.
It is a bit heavy compared to my breech-loading SxS 20 ga., but if I had to sell one, I would no longer own a 20 ga.

So far I haven't had any problem with mine

000_0672sq.jpg

oneshot 1

Hey oneshot, why do you have a double barrel if you go by "one shot"? :crackup: :crackup: (just ribbing ya)

That's a fine mess of squirrels your sxs took there for you... :thumbsup:

Could it be because its a capper and one side didnt go off????mmmmmmmmm flintlock minds wont to know
lol :crackup: :crackup:

Well maybe I'm a bit nuts I came across one that need's a bit of TLC . Needs finished and so on. I dont know for 250.00 the price of some others out there are around 500.00 and up and I figure if I have do a bit of work on it my time dosent cost me anything. What do you guys think ? I still want a flint Tulle or trade gun

welll mmmmm if the bores are reasonable, barrels not to dented up and the hardware in far shape i would say go for it, you can always make a new stock for her or convert her to a flinter .

250 you say though ,,, no chance of going lower . maybe im reading between the lines here but kinda sound like there maybe quite abit of work ?
not that that really matters

Well maybe I'm a bit nuts I came across one that need's a bit of TLC . Needs finished and so on. I dont know for 250.00 the price of some others out there are around 500.00 and up and I figure if I have do a bit of work on it my time dosent cost me anything. What do you guys think ? I still want a flint Tulle or trade gun

Maybe you can offer a trade for it...

I have seen people trade all kinds of things for muzzleloaders, ask him/her what they are willing to trade for it, you got nothing to loose...

Well it needs a ram rod and a srew in the trigger guard wood needs acoat of oil and barrels need browned thats about it

Well it needs a ram rod and a srew in the trigger guard wood needs acoat of oil and barrels need browned thats about it

All of that stuff is minor, concerned about the missing screw though...

Was it just removed and lost or is the hole stripped?

The stock could be broken where the screw goes, seen this before on a few muzzleloaders, only way to find out is to remove the trigger guard and have a look...

Back