• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA ST.louis hawken flinter LH

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
since I am a lefty I see deer creek products has a lh CVA St.louis hawken flinter in .50 caliber. money not an issue but would this be ok to start out on?. my first muzzleloader ever was a CVa back in 1982. desert storm and several other deployments took hold of my life after high school. while in the last 3 years ive gained quite of few smoke poles, some of the men who have helped me a lot on this forumn shoot flintlocks would this be ok to start out on? 289.00 https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p727/CVA_St._Louis_Hawken_LH_Rifle.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I been eyeballing it too :) I would say YES. Others will SOON come by to advise to pass and save $$ and get a custom or better rifle. Only drawback is this is Old New Stock and repairs culd be an issue?

I have a traditions thats real similar and its releiable if I watch the flint. Gonna check the touch hole size soon and may be drill it out if needed.

Follow yer heart your did say "starter" :wink:

money is no object, however ive been back in traditional muzzleloading after a 30 yr absence I can afford the top flint rifles but see a flint for less than 300 and im a lefty, I don't mind trials tribulations and struggles ive seen them in desert storm and aphganistan 4 total tours to Iraq I don't mind a little struggle. granted I could lay down 3-5000 and get the best flinter available but why? alls I wanna do is shoot a flintlock see if I like it and go forward

Got same one 8 years or so ago from deer creek. Shoots 3 hole touching groups all day at 75 yards off the bench.

I have no complaints, have shot custom flintlocks. My first lh flinter and I like working on it. 75 grains, 3f goex, .15 patch, my cast 490 roundball, Moose juice receipe from this site.

I very much recommend it and enjoy shooting it.

Should suit your needs well. Can't go wrong at that price. Personally, I would strip the stock, sand down and give an oil finish. That would eliminate the shiny 'factory made' look. Then later you can order yer own special custom built rifle.

Howie said:
...alls I wanna do is shoot a flintlock see if I like it and go forward

If I was just starting with a flinter, the CVA is very likely where I'd go to test the water. Several CVA's in my neighborhood, and they're functional and reliable. Nothing fancy, but they do the job. Hard to beat that for under $300.

My son shoots lefty and we got him that rifle in caplock years ago.
His is a slow twist and has been a fine shooter.
This rifle uses the spanish made bridled lock and double trigger. And while the geometry is ok, they don't spend a lot of time "finishing" the lock and trigger internals. There can be tiny burrs and sharp edges that hinder smooth performance.
Full disassembly and polishing of the lock and trigger components does improve their function 100%. It's an easy task with a fine stone if your handy.
The temper of the factory frizzen is also a bit iffy with the spanish rifles,, but Deer Creek does offer an aftermarket upgraded frizzen for $20-25 and it's worth the investment.
That's a great price for an entry level/experiment into flint.

First, God Bless you for your service to your Country. It is greatly appreciated. :hatsoff:

I'm also a lefty, and began my plunge into the world of flintlocks back in the 70's when the Pennsylvania Game Commission opened their first, after Christmas, flintlocks only season. My mistake was to start with a right-handed, .50 cal. Thompson Center flintlock. Many, many flinches later and missed deer, I got a used lefty flinter from Brad Emig, and have never looked back. I've added five lefty flintlocks since. :grin:

Get that CVA, shoot it straight and often, and never look back. :thumbsup:

For a "first flinter" I'd be inclined to buy it at that price. You must be interested in it or you would not have wrote here asking about it. The only draw back for that rifle would be the quality of the lock. It may or may not give you fits :hmm: . If the lock does turn out to be a dog you could possibly get a replacement for under $150 and you will still be ahead of the game :thumbsup: . Or pass on it and spend $900 + on a higher quality flint rifle - but you just might find yourself with a dog of a lock there also :idunno: .

Shot her again today. Several years ago replaced the sights with buckhorns. Never like the bulky cva sights.

Need to bench it as was with a group of bp shooters enjoying the day but practicing off hand. Replaced the front sight as I filed down to far so needed a new one. Gotta check the zero.

Working on shooting bag shooting versus tackle box range shooting but 20 plus shots, 70 yards off hand and got tired from heat and out of shape. Anyone relate? Hour an half, 90or so degrees, one flash in the pan. 15 plus hits on a 12" metal plate. Most hits at 2 o'clock. Need to read zero..

Rifle works mandatory fun to work on.

Fyi, put an RMC vent liner on mine to try for quicker ignition. It has a hexagon exterior to act as a cone to try for that hair quicker ignition.

Latest posts

Back