• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA set trigger problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at an older CVA Hawken with a barrel without the block powder only warning that when the tang screw is tightened all the way won't allow the set trigger to set??

CVA’s are notorious for inletting their parts too deep. Add wood shrinkage or compression over time and stuff gets all wonky. You need to shim the triggers out a ways. Bedding compounds or popsicle sticks can be used for this.

The stocks for CVA, and now Traditions, arms are made from some sort of "select european hardwood", probably beech. It is a clear grained easily machined wood. However, it is not very hard or dense. When tang screw is screwed down hard the wood compresses between the tang and the trigger plate, and doesn't leave enough room for the trigger to set.

Quick and dirty fix is to cut spacers from an old credit card and insert between the stock and trigger plate. Usually takes only one thickness, but sometimes two. When you find the right combination use just a bit of adhesive to hold the shims in place.

And just run tang and lock screws down to barely snug.

Whatever fix you decide to use, you’ll want that CVA tang bolt more than ‘just barely snug’.

I just went through this.
With the trigger assembly in too deep without any shims I found that the hammer wouldn't hold. I could apply a bit of forward pressure on it and it would release and fall to the nipple. The set trigger was working though.
You only need to shim the front. It doesn't take much at all. I used a washer at first that was just a bit thicker than a credit card. This resulted in the hammer holding firmly, but then the set trigger wouldn't function.
I predrilled a pilot hole and then screwed a flat head screw into the stock on the front end, easy to adjust height until it works right by simply screwing it in/out as needed. It seemed to take very little shim to get the hammer to hold solidly, but a bit too much made the set trigger not set.
Make sure to test for both problems when you shim it.

Back