• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Serial Numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetPara

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to where I can research a list of CVA blackpowder rifles?

Scored a 50 cal mountain rifle in a trade yesterday that appears never to have been fired. Just trying to check the actual age.

If I remember the CVA records were lost in a fire so researching by SRN is very difficult. Are there any proof marks on the barrel? If there is a K in the SRN that indicates a kit gun. I have heard the first two digits of the SRN, of the later Spanish barrels are the year code.
Early barrels were made in the U.S. later ones were Spanish. If there are proof marks, this may help. http://9mmlargo.com/year_codes.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reposting those threads Necchi :hatsoff: I have a MR and it's been awhile since I pulled it out of the dungeon ,but I'm almost sure it has made in Spain on the bottom side of the barrel...I'll see if I can pull her out and dust her off to make sure.

I never heard of a fire at CVA that destroyed their records. Might of happened but I don't know.

I do know that Thompson Center had a fire that destroyed their records of the serial numbers on their muzzleloaders so tracking down one of their Hawkens S/N's is not possible.

As for CVA, they were always importers and I rather doubt that they have kept any of the serial number information for the muzzleloading guns they sold.
Even if they did keep them, they quit importing traditional muzzleloaders several years ago so they probably dumped all of the records of their earlier sales.

Zonie said:
they probably dumped all of the records of their earlier sales.
Yup, I can't remember the name of the source but it was an old employee. CVA did a Corporate Headquarters move several years ago and that's exactly where the records went, all the stuff from the 80's and earlier simply went into a dumpster and off to a landfill.
I've been following this CVA Mountain Rifle stuff for a few years myself, and as I noted those two topics are still the best current compiled source of info about them.

How much can you buy a set of the 45 black powder pistol and 50 call black powder rifle for?

My Spanish-barreled .50cal CVA Mountain Premier Grade Rifle has a 2-digit SN prefix that shows the DOM.

The prefix is "88", indicating it was made in 1988, but according to a catalog was issued in 1990.

V1HAPOsl.jpg

Last edited:
How much can you buy a set of the 45 black powder pistol and 50 call black powder rifle for?
Some-wheres between 300$ and 5,000$.
Honestly it's a regional issue, some areas have more BP firearms available then others. Entry level used pistols can be had for around 200 each and rifles about the same or a bit more, bargains can be found if you search.
But your question is like "How much does a car cost?"

Back