• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbowie1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a CVA pennsylvania rifle flintlock in 50 cal and a traditions shenandoah rifle prec. in a trade its a 50 cal. I traded a model 94 winchester 30 wcf made in 1947 for them. both are in great shape bores are good few handeling marks but im happy with them.

Howdy!

I acquired a CVA kit some years ago which I put together, but I can not remember if it was the Penn or the KY gun. Anyway, it was a cap lock and I converted it to flint.

I havent shot it in years since replacing it with other guns more suitable for my needs-wants. I should get rid of it.

;) :)

Enjoy your Shenandoah as well. I picked mine up about 15 years ago, you'll love the 1:66 twist with PRB. Traditions has quit making them, so their availability will soon start drying up. Those who do have them don't get rid of them - there's a message there. CVA Pennsylvania :hmm: never seen one. Do they have a split stock or are one piece. What's the patchbox like? Got any pictures?

I have a CVA Plainsman .50. When I lived in the Ozarks the deer feared it. :blah: It never missed. It's a better shot than I am.

The Pennsylvania rifle has a one piece stock and comes with a patchbox. The Kentucky has a two piece stock and has no patchbox. If you built a Kentucky kit, you would remember having to measure and drill the two holes for the pins to hold the barrel to the stock. (I'll bet I measured and re-measured a dozen times before I drilled them!)

I'm going off memory here, so I might be wrong :idunno: , but I believe the Pennsylvania is a couple of inches longer than the Kentucky rifle.

Hope this helps some in remembering which one you have.

Outdoorman

My first black powder rifle was a CVA penn rifle. It was great and I miss it. I got it from an old guy down the road. He gave me all the fixins and a leather case. I sold it when I left the country for a while. Id love to find it again. The old guy is gone now I miss him.

Back