• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA price?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a 45 cal. CVA flintlock pistol and wonder what would be a good price range for it.
The barrel is without a finish/white, there is a small amount of rust on the outside(I think a good cleaning would take care of it). The front sight is brass and I think it had a rear sight probably steel. I do not know the condition of the bore.
The lock had what appeared to be a factory blue finish.
The stock had what looked like a standard factory finish.
Any idea about a fair price range? $125-150? More/Less?
Are these usually good shooters? Do the locks have problems or are they usually reliable?
Thanks for any direction you give.

You didn't say what type of CVA pistol you had.
People have had some ignition problems with both percussion and flintlock style.
I search the gun auctions sights every day and see them in the $125 to $150 range. Don't know if anyone buys them at that price though.
Might want to list it and see what happens, if you are trying to sell it

Vearl,
I am not sure what it is beyond being a CVA. The grip portion of the stock curves downward like what I think is called a "Kentucky".
I think that it had a brass cap at the muzzle end of the barrel.
Is this any help?

The CVA kentucky had a barrel about 10 inches long. The CVA Colonial pistol had the identical grip but a barrel only 6.75 inches long and no nose cap. Almost all, except the very late years were 45 cal. There is a slight bump in interest for CVA kentucky flint pistols if they are from the last few years when they were made in 50 caliber because Pennsylvania permits flint pistols 50 caliber and over in the three week flintlock season after Christmas. Not that folks would use them as a primary weapon, but some want them as a back up for a quick follow up shot in the extremely unlikely event that they need it. The flint 50's are bringing closer to $200 in PA.

With a bit of tweaking they can be very reliable.

I'd say $100 if the bore is good. They come around pretty regular still. I have seen em go for 40-50 bucks.

the only CVA flinter in my blue book is a .50cal, octagonal, 9.75" Hawken.

mint/100% = $135-150
exc/98% = $110-120
good/90% = $75-100
shooter/80% = $50-75
(last msr = $170)

if you knew the exact model, i could be more specific.. personally since it's not even finished, i think $100 would be generous.

:thumbsup:
~dg~

ps. they had one pistol called the Siber that went for $440 originally.. it was white steel with engraved barrel, checkered walnut grip, 10.5", and .45cal.. that would be sweet !

LeMat1856,
Thank you for the information.
I looked at it again today. The barrel is white and there was no engraving aside from the stamping giving CVA and 45 Cal. etc. No checkering on stock and the barrel could be longer than 6". The front thimble for the ram rod is off, it is laying in the display with the pistol. The ram rod is damaged also.
The bore looked good, at least what I could see at the muzzle end. The outside looked good also.
Thanks for the thoughts on price it gives me something to go on. Several members have given me their ideas on the pricing and it all helps.

LeMat1856 said:

ps. they had one pistol called the Siber that went for $440 originally.. it was white steel with engraved barrel, checkered walnut grip, 10.5", and .45cal.. that would be sweet !

I think this is the one that I just bought.

woodse guy,

the 5th edition of 'blue book of modern black powder arms' by allen & fjestad lists that item as percussion.. is that what you have ?

here's the value:
mint-nib/100% : $425
excellent/98% : $325
goood/90% : $200
shooter/80% : $100

keep in mind that these are actually an 'average' of prices that were paid or listed as of 2007.. as this is 2012, things could be higher or lower based of availability and the market.. also, this was supposedly 'discontinued' in 1994.. all in all, that's quite a find if you ask me.

nice going,

:thumbsup:
~dg~

ebay961.jpg

ebay962.jpg

ebay960.jpg

Here are a few pic's of my CVA Siber. It doesn't have a nosecap, no ramrod and the end of the barrel and lock are engraved. The grip is checkered! It's .45 cal. w/single set trigger.

That's the same one that I have but I have a different front sight. I paid 350 for mine it came with a Lee mold and a loading stand powder measure and ram rod.

Latest posts

Back