• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Percussion to Flint and beating the Dead Horse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, new member here.
I have owned a Traditions full stock flintlock since the mid 90's, and fired it irregularly. After moving from the PNW (largely due to firearms regulation) to West Virginia, I was looking to do a build of a traditional early Pennsylvania rifle. I spent COVID de-Bubba-ing several WW1 era Enfields, a Swedish Mauser, and a M1917 Eddystone back to issue configuration. In purchasing parts, I scored a CVA Pennsylvania percussion .50 cal 40 inch barrel with drum and full stock (not the 2 piece), with ramrod, sideplate and all the brass (no trigger or lock parts) from Numrich. No idea why they had it. I had visions of a conversion, but other threads warn against it. I had already pulled the drum so I could bore light the barrel, not knowing this was frowned upon.

In doing so, it appears the barrel is unfired. No signs of any fouling, the drum came out easy, so it might have been removed before. The recess for the drum is clean and bright steel, and the rifling looks pristine. The wood is complete and in fair to good (got some dings and cracks, but it seems complete). Trigger, hammer and lock parts, tang bolt and the clean out screw for the drum are all missing. Barrel is .50 caliber, full octagonal.

Would it be wiser to sell this, it is pretty rare to see something from CVA this old and unfired. It has what I am guessing is the later drum assembly that is tapered barrel side with a full recessed powder hole.

Otherwise I could machine the drum into a plug, and tap it for a liner. I would upgrade to L&R flintlock at a minimum. I don't have 3k to drop on a new correct repro, this would be a project either way, new vs a conversion.

What are any thoughts on it, and if I sell it to finance a flintlock, what might it be worth? I can take pictures tonight if anyone wants to see it.

Thank you

Bryan

Back