• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mtn Rifle with no patchbox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking for an affordable roundball gun and came across what appears to be an older Mountain Rifle. The dilema is that it has no patchbox, what gives?

I haven't seen or heard of one without a patch box. Maybe some of the very early models. Most of rhe early models had Douglas barrels nade in the USA, well worth the money. Check the markings on the barrel and the condition of the bore.

I bought my CVA St. Louis Hawken .50 as a kit, and the stock was inletted for the patch box, but this was one of the late ones (2002-2003?).

Be Wild Willy said:
Only visible markings are "Conneticut Valley Arms, Inc.. Black Powder only .50 Caliber"

Those are the only markings on mine, too, except it's a .58. It has no patch box. I thought a .50 would have a pactch box. Maybe there was a small run made without them or something.

Then yours is a Big Bore Mountain Rifle if it is a .54 or .58 & no patchbox. Should have iron trim. VERY accurate rifle .... Some say the barrels of such are Douglas, but none I have ever seen said Douglas on them. Either way, they shoot well & will knock the snot out of a whitetail.

Keith Lisle

Pics would help a bit here...Not all Mountain Rifles had patch boxes. My Very High end Browning Mountain Rifle does not have one....As some originals did not either. It was not a prerequisite to have one...

Unfortunately no pics available, but seems certain by the pics I've seen of others that it's a Mtn. Rifle in 50 cal. Just a little perplexed about it not having a patchbox. Would this be a potential plus or minus in the value of the gun, as opposed to one with the 4 screw. When I buy something I always consider what I might be able to get out of it, if need be, down the road.

That is perplexing,

I'd call Deer Creek and ask them. They have been suppliers for CVA since CVA sold out the traditional line and have been instrumental in the making and aftermarket items for the MR for a long time now.

It could be the stock you have is an aftermarket/replacement that didn't have a patch box??

I spoke with them a month ago or so and had several questions about the MR answered.

No web site or email, ya gotta call;
765:525:6181

Well I went ahead and opted for one with the 4 screw patchbox. If anyone's interested in the one I've been inquiring about you can check it out on GB, Auction # 277994183. I have no affiliation with the seller, contemplated buying it myself.

Just looked at it. It is a CVA Mountain Rifle. The pewter nose cap, iron trigger guard, two barrel wedges and that rear sight. You can't see if there is a patch box or not, with that sleeve over the butt stock for the sling.

That's a Mountain Rifle made in Spain by Ardesa. No patch box, lighter weight than the 1st CVA mountain Rifle.
Way to higher starting price on it.

Seller stated "Only marks I can find on the gun are Conneticut Valley Arms, Inc.. Black Powder only .50 Caliber".

Back