• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA Mtn Rifle Conversion Flint to Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I helped my dad convert a Bobcat from cap to flint once with parts from Deer Creek, but I’ve since learned that might not be wise. We didn’t know anything about the patent breeches back then. We had to shorten the vent liner a little, but the thread screwed right in and the flint lock interchanged and lined up perfect. The conversion is completely reversible. I know this is opposite of what you’re asking - hope it’s still helpful.

What is the issue with it in flintlock form? If it just isn't reliable, you could get one of the L&R replacement flint locks. Those early CVA flintlocks aren't very good.

Those CVA flintlocks were not very good, and the Traditions locks are no better. Sloppy machining and assembly makes the situation worse than it has to be. I recently worked on a Traditions Kentucky.

The pan is tiny, but can be improved with a little judicious work to widen and deepen with a Dremel or similar tool. The idea is to get a bigger priming powder surface for sparks to land in. On the rifle we were working on the lock was positioned in relation to the barrel such that lower front edge of the pan blocked. part of the vent. The rework of the pan fully exposed the vent but it is still down in the bottom corner rather than high and centered.

It is very sad that a number of new shooters wind up with these poor quality arms, and get a poor introduction to muzzleloading.

Back