• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain rifle, turning a sow ear into a silk purse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will I think it cane out good how, will it shoot, going to leave the grove in it a spin a tale about how close the bear was!!!:) If the weather gives me a break its out to the range.
20211222_195535.jpg
20211222_195542.jpg
20211222_195558.jpg

The backwards sight is on a different CVA someone posted in this thread.

So had a break today in the weather, storm came thru blow hard all day yesterday and last night a dusting of snow cold 18, but broke calm and bright, was out there at first light. Taking everyone's input, I cleaned the bore first with Windshield wash patch, then A Ballistol soaked patch, 60grs of FFg Goex, old Alcan caps, using them up target shooting, three caps before loading. Then a measured powder charge, then the ball, set on sand bags target at 25 Yds sun behind me. I don't think I could get much better. Was very happy with how it shot. I made a rookie mistake, no powder, couldn't get the ball puller to start, so pulled the nipple and got enough powder in it to clear the bore. The first shot was total off target, I pulled it, the next two were at 1 and moved the sight with a soft hammer, 3" high at 25 should drop right in @ 50 to 100. Happy camper. Just call me Davey!! :)
20211224_173237.jpg

Well done. I've got a CVA Mountain rifle in .45 cal I bought from a friend for 100 bucks awhile back. Set trigger was in-op due to that silly wire spring being missing. That part is unavailable anywhere so I made one. It was also filthy from hanging on a wall in his antique shop forever but it cleaned up nice. Still haven't fired it but it should be fine. Someone added that Brass doodad to the stock but it's an older one that says Made in USA on the barrel. I'm happy with it.
CVA Mountain Rifle .45cal.JPG

Its good I cleaned it then give it a good patching with Ballistoll, The target speaks for itself, and it was cold 18-20 but no wind, in warm weather I know it will flat shoot. So My hands will be better !!!!!! ;)

Was going to the range no matter what,just to shoot the second CVA mountain rifle,this is the one last time out, no powder under ball. Was cold 27 wind chill 20 at the start.Ran "my" moose milk, as patch lube ,used the patch's that are cut out of an old high end sheet. 60grs of FFG, Remington CAP. Just wanted to see if it was looking right. Started @ 25 off hand,working only out of the bag, 6" paper plate, five out of 5, backed out to 50, wind picked up how in the mid teens ! Fired 3 hit a 10" dong every time. @ 100 6" plate white not the best for a white and brown back ground. Someone else shows had to place targets, waiting winds building, how it's cold single digits, tried off the rest missed the plate both times. I had to pack it in, the wind right off the divide,was to much. But with a little more trigger time dead critters, it went off every time, no hang fires, and didn't have to patch between shots. And the patch's looked good. Thanks to all the folks that post theirs life times of knowledge. The gun I call Frank short for Frankenstein, stock is factory, barrel from what I garnered from here its the Douglas barrel, its marked made in the USA, 1-66 correct me If I am wrong. petty Happy.
20220115_143556.jpg
20220115_143651.jpg

Back