• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain rifle, turning a sow ear into a silk purse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
So, a fellow ML, is moving, I pick up a load of supplies and a early CVA 50 cal. Mountain rifle, with the new late season shoulder hunt, I was in. Plus, he gave me a deal I couldn't say no to. The gun was rough to say the least, but I like working on them, but things went bad turned into an ankle bitter. After pulling it apart, the gun had not been cleaned in decades, no kidding. I worked the lock plate off, and it fell apart in my hand and was dirty as 3 pigs in mud. The more I looked the more I found. Somewhere in its life someone had welded the under rib to the barrel, and the thimbles to the rib very poor work. Then made homemade tenon's to boot. I figured if I could get it shooting get out a few times I would worry about the rest later not so lucky. First range session, was going well, some of the old caps wouldn't go off I mean when was the last time you seen Alcan's? Got it on paper @ 25 yds she was off to the right and low, made some adjustments and moved out to 50. Was hitting petty well center @ 12 cool. Moved out to 100, loaded her up on the sandbags figured I would cock it then seat down. When I took my thumb off the hammer she let go!!!!!!!!!!! Sacred you know what out of me. I through maybe I had hit the trigger. Not so dumb, she wouldn't stay in full cock. At home pulled the lock off and, on the thimble, the second leg had broken at the tip about a 1/16th. :doh:O boy the best laid plans of mice and men. Got to looking for parts and found www.deercreekproducts.net, he's got a nice sight, had parts for older guns, schematics for many guns so one could get part numbers. As an old parts guy it made it easy, plus he had just about all of what I was in need of. With the holiday on us shipping been slow, took the Dremel to the welds, was slow going, but a bit at a time with the stone wheels then a cut off disk, a sharp rap with a soft hammer off it can. The lock and tenons showed up yesterday and a friend gave me a part of a bottle of Plum brown. Went over to a machine's friend and he loaned me so nice flat about 3" wide by 6" some diamond stone, cleaned up the flats and the last of the welds. Got must of the file marks out. How just waited for the thimbles and screws, and under lug. Will post some photo's after I get her back together. Coming out nice.:):):):)

Last edited:
A lot of work to get to the starting point, such a deal! :) Be interested in how it all comes out, keep posting as you go.

20211218_154617.jpg
20211218_154721.jpg

Barrel browned made the shoe maker's work. I fixed a crack in the stock by glass bedding the barrle tang and placeing two small pices of braided wire in the bedding compound over a grove,by using a ball bit very small 1/8" in the Dremel, then working the bedding into the crack from the outside.

Keep at it, I am a fan of the mountain rifle. I have a 45 and a 50 just showed up day before yesterday. They fit me well, the 45 is incredibly accurate as I hope the 50 is also. Keep posting your journey!

Great story, and a gun worthy of re-conditioning.
When I took my thumb off the hammer she let go!!!!!!!!!!! Sacred the you know what out of me. I through maybe I had hit the trigger?
That part? Is about the trigger plate seated too deep. A very common problem with these olde CVA MR's. A design issue easily fixed with bedding or spacers.
Keep us posted about your works with the gun,,

The top and tang work, one mistake the grove the Deremel got way fro me. that crack will move no more.View attachment 110138View attachment 110139
This is my rebuild of a CVA .50 caliber percussion mountain rifle into a .625 20 ga flintlock that has never misfired. Crazy good. Drilling out the barrel left some small drill marks. I’m trying to get rid of those. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 241C44D4-B72C-4982-B038-60E531B37920.jpeg
    241C44D4-B72C-4982-B038-60E531B37920.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 120
  • A9D15836-94C8-4E72-9AD9-6D60B02CE0AD.jpeg
    A9D15836-94C8-4E72-9AD9-6D60B02CE0AD.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 80899576-02E4-4B95-A01F-C6E11C95099D.jpeg
    80899576-02E4-4B95-A01F-C6E11C95099D.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 107
  • FFC062B4-0C94-41B8-8C5A-2646076E772B.jpeg
    FFC062B4-0C94-41B8-8C5A-2646076E772B.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 100
This is my rebuild of a CVA .50 caliber percussion mountain rifle into a .625 20 ga flintlock that has never misfired. Crazy good. Drilling out the barrel left some small drill marks. I’m trying to get rid of those. Any ideas?
Ya a tight fitting bore mop and JB bore polish, and elbow grease should do it.

Great story, and a gun worthy of re-conditioning.

That part? Is about the trigger plate seated too deep. A very common problem with these olde CVA MR's. A design issue easily fixed with bedding or spacers.
Keep us posted about your works with the gun,,
Where can I find out more about this?

Doughty that's the main reason I got it, good winter time project, plus the new shoulder season. Always like working on them.:)

CVA Mountain rifle kit was the first rifle I built. It shot good off a bench but couldn't do well offhand with it. Just didn't fit me. After I built my next one from scratch it got retired to hunting. Decided I wanted to build a new rifle so took it apart and fixed the mistakes I had made building it and put an artificial tiger stripe on the stock when I refinished it. Hung it in the club house at a shoot with a sign that clearly stated it was fake. In less the 2 hours it had a new home and I had money to put towards parts for a new rifle.

Where can I find out more about this?
There's several topics about it in The Gun Builder Bench section, check back pages,, look for "CVA/Traditions won't go to full cock" type posts.
I had to re-bed mine. Trouble is they removed a lot of wood in that area, then gorilla handed previous owners along with the drying wood,, the trigger mortise wood becomes compressed under the tang bolt,, the trigger then rides to high.
That causes the trigger bars to be in constant contact with the locks sear arm.
It's an easy fix.

somewhere around 40 years ago my best armpit buddy gave me a CVA Mountain rifle. Or parts thereof to be more correct.
Mike had used it in long range target shooting so he put a peep sight on the back and a marbles globe up front.
i retired and moved here in 91 and Mike gave me the CVA when i was leaving California. As i was driving through Vale Oregon on the moving trip i stopped at my Brothers Photo shop. gave him the cva and a 51 navy to use as props. didn't see the cva again until this May. somewhere along the way something happened and the breach had been amputated from the barrel.
as it had some sentimental value i re-breached it and set the trunnion's back. patched the cutout on the wrist. it is now a very handy carbine. shoots great!
won't win any beauty contests but i am fond of it.
one bad thing about the CVA's lock is it eats mainsprings.

Attachments

• 20211219_104949.jpg
    20211219_104949.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20211219_104956.jpg
    20211219_104956.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 94
  • 20211219_105011.jpg
    20211219_105011.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 93
You can get rid of that dremel cut if you cut the wood from the tang to the lock and side panel flatter instead of rounded. A common mistake of new builders is to leave this area too round.

Here is a TC kit I built that had this area rounded in the precarve, I flattened the area a good bit from the tang to the sideplate. and lock sides.
TC tang shaping.JPG

somewhere around 40 years ago my best armpit buddy gave me a CVA Mountain rifle. Or parts thereof to be more correct.
Mike had used it in long range target shooting so he put a peep sight on the back and a marbles globe up front.
i retired and moved here in 91 and Mike gave me the CVA when i was leaving California. As i was driving through Vale Oregon on the moving trip i stopped at my Brothers Photo shop. gave him the cva and a 51 navy to use as props. didn't see the cva again until this May. somewhere along the way something happened and the breach had been amputated from the barrel.
as it had some sentimental value i re-breached it and set the trunnion's back. patched the cutout on the wrist. it is now a very handy carbine. shoots great!
won't win any beauty contests but i am fond of it.
one bad thing about the CVA's lock is it eats mainsprings.
You did a good job. I am still waiting on more parts.

Back