• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA Mountain Rifle... salvageable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwiggins1985

40 Cal
Reaction score
Looking to get a CVA mountain rifle online. I am thinking of offering $100 to $140 for it. It needs some work. The barre is my main concern if I can clean it out and make it shoot well. Looks like rust and some build up. Thinking of soaking in rust remover and hitting the barrel with some steel brushes.
7F71BD59-9BF8-4B06-A86D-7C9B60DBDACA.jpegI

It needs some new pins that hold the barrel in. And the trigger and lock need some work. The hair trigger doesn’t seem to be working.
F3E4C4D8-03A9-45AE-B175-BFAF19543137.jpeg
Do you guys think this is salvageable? It’s an older on with a 50k serial number and USA barrel.

I was faced with a similar situation this last summer. A pawn shop had a CVA Hawken. They wanted a “today only price of $175”. The barrel looked about like that one. I made an offer because Deer Creek Products sells a barrels for about $125. If I got it cheap and bought a barrel, I would still be ahead. But the pawn broker wouldn’t budge, so no deal. But you might come out ahead if you can get it cheap. Check out Deer Creek to see if they have a barrel. Good luck.

Probably salvageable but no telling how good it will end up when you are done. I'd offer 100, no more. Some rust removers remove metal too, I'd use one that doesn't. Maybe molasses and water mix 7-1 for a few days.

I was thinking of soaking it in vinegar for a little bit to see what all it did. Do they make a barrel rifle recutter for black powder? Or would I have to rebore it?

What Cal is it. Maybe could be recut to 54 or lined back to 50. If you can get a new barrel ,that would be the better way and cheaper too. I don't know if any recutter will try to remove the breach plug on a CVA. Maybe if it was already out. I have removed a few in the past. The drum is hard enough but the breech plug is Very tough . I think $100 is about all I would pay for this.
n.h.schmidt

Looking to get a CVA mountain rifle online. I am thinking of offering $100 to $140 for it. It needs some work. The barre is my main concern if I can clean it out and make it shoot well. Looks like rust and some build up. Thinking of soaking in rust remover and hitting the barrel with some steel brushes.

It needs some new pins that hold the barrel in. And the trigger and lock need some work. The hair trigger doesn’t seem to be working.

Do you guys think this is salvageable? It’s an older on with a 50k serial number and USA barrel.
Looks to me like this one needs a LOT of work and a LOT of parts to get it right.
If you got it for free - and did most of the work yourself, you MIGHT wind up with a gun that cost you a little more than what you can buy one in very good condition for.

I’m a sucker for a challenge. I’d buy it at 100$ and either; scrub the poop out of the barrel bore, then see what ya have... but realize, when a bore pits really bad.. it will always be hard to clean and always will rust easily in the small pits. I’d say worst comes to worse, deer creek sells new barrels for it. Also maybe could explore the barrel being rebored or lined as others have stated. Then you would have some elbow grease and around 240 dollars in it.

I was faced with a similar situation this last summer. A pawn shop had a CVA Hawken. They wanted a “today only price of $175”. The barrel looked about like that one. I made an offer because Deer Creek Products sells a barrels for about $125. If I got it cheap and bought a barrel, I would still be ahead. But the pawn broker wouldn’t budge, so no deal. But you might come out ahead if you can get it cheap. Check out Deer Creek to see if they have a barrel. Good luck.

Deer Creek shows the Mountain Rifle barrel to be out of stock.

I’m a sucker for a challenge. I’d buy it at 100$ and either; scrub the poop out of the barrel bore, then see what ya have... but realize, when a bore pits really bad.. it will always be hard to clean and always will rust easily in the small pits. I’d say worst comes to worse, deer creek sells new barrels for it. Also maybe could explore the barrel being rebored or lined as others have stated. Then you would have some elbow grease and around 240 dollars in it.
+ - new wedges, repair the lock, repair the trigger......... probably strip and re-blue -
It would make a good "learn to fix old guns" lesson material but financially - a bust even if it's close to being free.

I would guess the lock and triggers just need to be cleaned/ polished, wedges can be had at a fair price by advertising the need for them on here. The big deal is the barrel at least in my opinion, and that can be rebored or lined. It all depends on how bad one wants a CVA Mountain rifle, I’d not go more than 100$ for it

It has the old style patch box and ramrod thimbles. Seems to have the original aluminum ramrod tip. What are the markings on the barrel? Made in USA? If it was near me and I could actually look at it, I would be inclined to buy it. It is a manure shoot though with that barrel. Deer Creek is going to do another run of replacement barrels for the rifles sometime later this year so they will be back in stock eventually.

get evaporust. Seal the nipple with wax or grease, and fill the barrel with the evaporust. Hang it up in the laundry room over a bucket in case it leaks. In a day or two, dump that out and give er a scrub to get the chunks out. Test fire it, it may be more salvageable than you think. I have one that was similar condition, is actually missing patches of rifling, and still has minute of deer at 100 yards with a PRB, and better with a minie

View attachment 60006I

View attachment 60007
Looks like a scratch-off lottery ticket to me; I'd have to get it cheaper than you are thinking.

Back