Quantcast

CVA Mountain Rifle... salvageable?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
You could have it refreshed rather than a rebore and it would be just slightly larger.
The CVA / Traditions breech with the drum being drilled into the breech plug poses problems on the reinstallation of the breech plug. Many people who rebore barrels won't rebore a CVA / Traditions barrel. This picture shows the interlocking breech design and also why people are so reluctant to remove the drum and the breech. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that removal of the drum cancels out any warranty claims and its very difficult to get the threads aligned again. I've know machinists who have done the removal and they don't want to remove the drum and breech of a CVA ever again.

1611499693300.png

Last edited:

sawyer04

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Probably salvageable but no telling how good it will end up when you are done. I'd offer 100, no more.
Yeah, and in my part of the woods a hundred bucks might be a bit much. I would be Leary, especially an online deal.

russellshaffer

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't pay any more than you would for a non-firing replica. Then if it shoots you have a bonus. If you buy it, do so with the expectation that you have a decoration for your fireplace.

towgunner11h

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I would buy it, and I would wager that it will still shoot. I can see some of the lands, and they still have good definition. It will take extra cleaning due to pitting. And DO check to make sure it’s not loaded!

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have found PB Blaster works well to loosen rust. I have used it in conjunction with steel wool on an undersized bore brush to good effect. It loosens rust much better than WD40.

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
At worse case you could get $100 at least for the parts, especially because it is a Mountain rifle.

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The CVA / Traditions breech with the drum being drilled into the breech plug poses problems on the reinstallation of the breech plug. Many people who rebore barrels won't rebore a CVA / Traditions barrel. This picture shows the interlocking breech design and also why people are so reluctant to remove the drum and the breech. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that removal of the drum cancels out any warranty claims and its very difficult to get the threads aligned again. I've know machinists who have done the removal and they don't want to remove the drum and breech of a CVA ever again.

View attachment 60096
Bobby Hoyt won’t touch them and he can probably pull and reinstall almost any other breech without waking up to do it.

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Bobby Hoyt won’t touch them and he can probably pull and reinstall almost any other breech without waking up to do it.
That being said, you could probably get a hundred bucks for the stock and another 50 for the rest of the parts on fleabay

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
Gunbroker is listing one as a "gunsmith special" right now too. Made in USA, replaced sights and missing drum. ........it's on a complete stock
Some "gunsmith" probably pulled the drum and breech and couldn't get it back together. Only cure is to cut off the breech and install a new breech plug. Have to move the under lugs and modify the under rib to get the stock to fit.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend gave me one to clean up for him I could. The barrel bore was so rusty you could not tell it was rifled. I soaked it in kroil over night, cleaned it well with the old stand by 1x1x1 hydrogen peroxide. alcohol , murphy's oil soap. Then lapped it. The result was an excellant shooting rifle. The lock needed cleaned,stoned and reassembled. I truely believe that the CVA mountain rifle with the made in usa barrels were the best rifles CVA made. All told I spent 20 hours on it.

pmccoywss

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd offer $50, and go no higher than $100. A great project to learn how rifles are made, and operate. The knowledge you gain will be worth the tuition in the long run.

Clean it up and shoot t to see how it goes. If needed I'd have it "freshed out" to .51 or .52 giving a "talking point" rifle (I already have a .498 mould).

rp77469

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Gunbroker is listing one as a "gunsmith special" right now too. Made in USA, replaced sights and missing drum. ........it's on a complete stock
Whoever gets it will have to send it to Deer Creek to get the proper drum installed. They are the only ones with the correct drum for that weird breeching system. They do all installs, and do not sell the drum separately. Check post 23 by Grenadier1758,

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who would leave a rifle like this has probably damaged other parts of the rifle, The serial number is usually on the barrel. If the barrel gets tossed, so does the serial number, the front sight is bent and could brake trying to straighten it, but maybe not. Question is, are you willing to risk 300 dollars (assuming you can find a nice used barrel) when you can buy a nice clean used rifle for that price. If it was a 45 or 36, maybe, but 50's are not rare.