• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA Mountain Rifle front sight height

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all. So I have an opportunity to buy a USA made CVA Mountain Rifle. It's missing a few parts. Anyone know the height of the front blade sight? Want to know before I order one.
Thanks

Hello to all. So I have an opportunity to buy a USA made CVA Mountain Rifle. It's missing a few parts. Anyone know the height of the front blade sight? Want to know before I order one.
Thanks
If it’s missing a few parts including the front sight, it may not have the original rear sight. Suggest ordering the tallest front sight you can find (likely .350” to .400”) and filing it down to your liking if the gun shoots too low.

I fit a front sight that's 0.020 - 0.030 shorter than the rear sight. Finished a rifle last month and set this way it would hit a 2 inch target at 25 yards right from the start

I also prefer a tall front sight. Once an accurate load is found it's simple to file away on the sight until it hits where you want it to. Too short and you'll either have to replace it or work on the rear sight problem.

I recommend something other than the original replacement site from Deer Creek. The blade is only staked in place and is just a little unstable regarding twisting and rocking.

Appreciate the replies, it's missing the front and rear sight and the ramrod ferrule, and one wedge key. Everything else looks good. Maybe I can fix the stock finish as well. Only photo the seller has. It's mine just waiting for him to ship.

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_042446.jpg
    IMG_20220706_042446.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 0
You should be happy with it. I have one that I restored for a friend who was given it in poor condition and he later gave it to me when he decided to get rid of his guns. I consider them to be the best rifle CVA ever made.While they were assembled in Spain the locks and triggers were the best I have seen on CVA guns and the barrels were top quality. While there is no doubt the prototypes had Douglas barrels there is debate over who made the production barrels with Sharon being the most likely manufacturer.

So what should I do with the stock?
You could refinish if you don’t care for the finish, though I’ve seen trendy black guns finished with Cerakote and a similar color pattern that someone likely paid big bucks for……. I would suggest getting everything right and the gun shooting well before worrying about the stock, unless you are already experienced at finishing stocks. Once you know you have a shooter you will probably be motivated to refinish it to a more traditional look.

Back