• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA Mountain Rifle- Douglas barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this .45 Mountain Rifle from a guy at my club a while back. The only barrel markings on it are the serial # and "Connecticut Valley Arms black powder only .45" (No made in Spain or proof marks)

Although it doesn't say made in the USA, the general consensus from a few guys at the club were that it was probably a Douglas barrel. Anyway, I just pulled this rifle out tonight to fix a thimble and put in a cleanout screw that was missing and got to wondering if anyone on here could tell me by the markings or serial # what type of barrel this is or how old it may be. It has the 2 screw patchbox if that helps. Thanks, Justin

Attachments

• IMG_20220919_215129.jpg
    IMG_20220919_215129.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220919_215208.jpg
    IMG_20220919_215208.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220919_215313.jpg
    IMG_20220919_215313.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220919_215023.jpg
    IMG_20220919_215023.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Looks to be the later Spanish barrel. Pretty high serial number and the two screw patchbox also indicates a later Spanish gun.

The "Douglas" machines made only about the first 200,
,the rest where made in Spain (period)
The Spaniards learned how to do it, only when taught by the guy that set up the Douglas machines showed them.
That's fact.

p.s. the four screw patch box was first production and early Spain,,,,

Last edited:
Well I have a CVA mountain rifle in 50 that's marked Made In USA serial # 0473 1-66, with a two screw patch-box's , the fit and finish is much better then my other two CVA Mountain rifle's that are Spain made. But as old as this guns are, stock could be form later, and the barrel sooner. What they made them from 77-85 ?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Gotta get out and work up a load for this thing. I bought it for my wife but it's too heavy for her. I took a couple shots with it (shooting left-handed) and roasted my right wrist before realizing there was no cleanout screw in it! But she's back in action now.

I once acquired a (CVA marked Douglas barrel), hardware and most of the rifle but the lock was missing. I ended up using it for $$ in another trade.

The "Douglas" machines made only about the first 200,
,the rest where made in Spain (period)
The Spaniards learned how to do it, only when taught by the guy that set up the Douglas machines showed them.
That's fact.

p.s. the four screw patch box was first production and early Spain,,,,
They learned well, if my .58 is any indication!

Back