• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA Mountain Pistol production date.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen and ladies. I have just purchased a CVA Mountain pistol with serial number 0004347. I know it is old since it has a hexagonal ramrod pipe. It is literally as new. Can anyone give me a possible production date? I have other with round pipes and waaaay later serial numbers. Thanks for any help. Polecat

I have not taken any pictures, but could use those from seller. They are OK but reveal nothing. I have four others and all look exactly alike [one flintlock] except for what I have done. The serial # should allow someone to give me a probably age range. One of mine is 0045872. The new/old one with hexagonal ramrod tubes differs only that way. It is 0004347. That is a difference of more than 41K pistols. I can take a picture tomorrow or Thursday but doubt that will help date it. Dale

Hello. The CVA Mountain pistol was manufactured in Spain by Dikar. If you disassemble the barrel, it must have the marks from the Eibar test bench and from the letters on the stamps, I can tell you what year it was manufactured. But you have to take pictures of the barrel of the gun. Kind regards from Spain.

BTW the CVA Mntn Pistol barrel when removed has no proof marks, no country of origin nor any differences from my others. The only significant features are the serial number and Hex ramrod pipes. Not very helpful I guess. Dale

Hello. You are right. There are few data to know more about the pistol. If you have the ramrod pipes hexagonal in shape, it is very possible that they were the first pistols made. Or maybe they were originally made in America. I have a Dikar catalog from 1980 and that pistol appears in that catalog as manufactured by Dikar in the city of Eibar, in the North of Spain. Saludos.

Look at the barrel (normally rear of the left side), the barrels Jukar and Dikar have the mark of the year and the number.
Here on an old Jukar :
Y.1.jpg

The codes :
codigo10.jpg

Hello. That is what I was referring to. For example, and in this case, Y 1 indicates that it was manufactured and tested in 1978. Greetings from Spain.

Dale,

I'll bet the folks at Deer Creek Products could tell you. They are the folks who have parts for obsolete CVA guns, and they have all of the old CVA manuals available to read or download from their website. I'm not smart enough to know how to post a web link from this little touch-screen device I'm on right now, but if you need Deer Creek's contact information I can get that to you later when I get on my desktop computer.

I have heard the first CVA Mountain Rifles had Douglas barrels, made in the USA. Did the early Mountain Pistols have Douglas barrels? If so, that might explain why Polecat's Mountain Pistol has no markings.

I am confident that the Muzzleloading Forum's "Brain Trust" will get this figured out...

Notchy Bob

I know it is hard to believe but my barrel [removed from stock] has only the same s markings as deermanct indicates in his post above. Nada mas senores. Dale

It's sometime very difficult with that kind of rifles Jukar or Dikar : mostly those, for the American market, did not have any proof marks and only a number and the brand mark. This is the case with this one normally for the USA (maybe fell off the truck :D :D), the only stamp is Jukar and no number...
Jukar.jpg

Latest posts

Back