• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dream about changing an old cva kentucky over to flint, what all needs to change I want to put a good lock on it ,but do you pull the drum off and put a solid plug in it and drill it for a touch hole?or will a vent liner fit that hole

I dream about changing an old cva kentucky over to flint, what all needs to change I want to put a good lock on it ,but do you pull the drum off and put a solid plug in it and drill it for a touch hole?or will a vent liner fit that hole
I have done the reverse: >>Change a flint into percussion. Not seeing the gun and your intended lock, I am guessing, you might be able install a TH liner that plugs the drum hole and at the same time provides the needed TH. It all depends on what you have and what will or will not work. Another method is to cut the barrel off and re breech the barrel. Not a job for a novice! Unless you are sure about what you are doing it would be better to trade or sell the gun and get a flintlock rifle.
Larry

If everything else lines up right you might could just saw the drum off flush and use it as the touch-hole.

but do you pull the drum off and put a solid plug in it and drill it for a touch hole?
About a decade ago someone did just that and shared photo's of the job here,
He pulled the drum, inserted a 10 x 1.25mm bolt, measured and cut the bolt, drilled it and slotted it for a screwdriver R&R

This thread from a few weeks ago got me thinking. I have a percussion CVA 45cal Kentucky Barrel 33" long laying around for years. I got it with another one from clearance kits missing parts that I bought for $35 each at a sidewalk sale. I used the 50cal already but wanted a flint barrel for another build. I used an M10x1.25 stainless bolt cut and sized then drilled and threaded for a vent insert and correct hole size drilled and positioned for the powder charge to enter. It was pretty easy to do on a drill press. I could not locate the thread from a decade ago mentioned above, but this sounds and looks like it would work. Opinions needed if looks like it will work. It fills all the void and threads fine in the breech plug and the hole for the powder lines up perfectly when I checked with a bore light. I may make another to actually use shaping the tip end a bit more conical as this is my first try. This cone end tip may be a little too shallow. The drum unscrewed easily by replacing the nipple with a metric bolt to use as a lever and a small pipe wrench. I can always just go back to percussion if this is risky as I have two Tennessee Mountain interchangeable locks flint and percussion to choose from.

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back