• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA Kentucky vs. Jukar Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When they were made. The Jukar barrels are later than the earlier CVA. Also some of the Jukar barrels are 1/66 twist the CVA's were 1/48 twist and not as deep of rifling in the ones I have worked on.

The Jukars tend to get a bad rap. I have had one for about 8 years, the kentucky, in 45 caliber...it is no fancy custom....but it sure puts em where I want her to, and has accounted for many a critter. Mine has been a great shooter...just one mans opinion.

Weeeellll..I always thought they were pretty much the same. I have a .45 Kentucky that up until right now I had always thought was a CVA. It was bought as a kit around '82/'83 and would have bet money that it was in a CVA box. I had always thought the Jukar stamping on the barrel was who made the barrel.

ohio ramrod said:
When they were made. The Jukar barrels are later than the earlier CVA. Also some of the Jukar barrels are 1/66 twist the CVA's were 1/48 twist and not as deep of rifling in the ones I have worked on.

Interesting, as my CVA Kentucky is definitely 1:66", and it's somewhere between 1988 and 1991, pretty sure I built it in '88.

Hello from Germany!

Nearly all modells of CVA are built in spain and look similar to the modells of Ardesa/Traditions who bought Jukar or Dikar a while ago.

In my opinion all are straight shooters. I like especially the Deerhunter and the Woodsman Hawken from Ardesa/Traditions.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kerrmeister is right. Jukar, CVA and Traditions are (or were) all made by Ardesa of Spain. That .45 Kentucky first came out under the Jukar name. CVA picked it up and changed it to a .50 cal. before they gave up traditional muzzle loaders. Traditions now has it under their name. To the best of my knowledge, all had 1 in 66" twist barrels. All of them are low level rifles, BUT straight shooters. All of them have accounted for their share of deer. I'm sure this model will be around for some time, no matter what name is stamped on the barrel :thumbsup:

Most of the CVA kentuckys that I worked on were made in the seventies. When Ohio first started it's primative weapons season I assembled many CVA kits for the Amish boys. They were a rough kit but accounted for many many deer.

A friend of mine brought a Jukar over to the house one day, said he took it for some work. We cleaned it up and shot the heck out of it. What a nice little gun. I read about some of the original being weak, but I also read where some of the fools who 1st bought them in the early 70's....you know the early magnum crazy days....actualy were loading 150 grains of fffg in these puppies. Stick to 60 grains fffg and you'll have a real shooter.

Today nearly all rifles from the production of Ardesa or Traditions are well made, low cost, but well made and good shooters. That was not always the fact. About 10 year ago there were so much differences in quality of the same modell, real cruel. You could have get a real nice Kentucky or Hawken rifle with nice wood, good browning and fast lock, but the other day or week you could get one where nothing fits.

Regards

Kirrmeister

went shooting a Jukar 45 cal caplock today...serial number on it is 0000120. Its the same one I had for sale on this forum, and the target flat speaks for itself.
jukarrangesection006.jpg

btw thats a 3" circle kneeling shooting position.

One-in-the same.
Both Jukar (and earlier Dikar) made the barrels for C.V.A. The earlier guns were marked only with the Dikar stampings, later with just Jukar and then Jukar with the C.V.A. logo added. All had the 1:66 rifling up till the mid '80s when C.V.A. sold out to Camel Tent.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I am doing some research, Jukar, Dikar and Ardesa are the same company IMPORTED then rebranded CVA importer as well as manufacture not until 2006 Berga climbs on board, however the other 3 Jukar,Dikar and Ardesa are SPANISH (SPAIN) made imported are decent as well my opinion Jukar, Dikar are the Pietta people love to ride them run their mouths about and have no clue as to the actual quality of although never had, owned or shot just my cousins, uncle, nephew, granddad, aunt, niece did not like em that`s all I know. My favorite is my uncle, grandad had a friend of his cousin who said he saw one explode, but again no hard evidence or facts while the friend of his cousin has no recollection Rumors, innuendo`s, lies, wives tales. I tell ya it is as bad as us new guys hearing the early model Pietta`s were reenactment toys, YUP I am very GUILTY, do not do as I did rely on one thread grab the fabric you will find something totally different. But alas I digress I learn from my mistakes

I own Ardesa made barrels and Jukar made barrels.

The difference between them is like night and day.

The Ardesa bores look like the cutters for the rifling were dipped in warm butter. Followed by warm butter lapping. Then a warm butter polishing. Smooooth and oh so shiny.

The Jukar bores look like they were chewed into place by a bunch of drunken crack addled beavers who hung out with Hunter Biden too long. Chatter marks times infinity.

Both brands shoot OK.

But they were not produced by the same manufacturing methods and I very much doubt in the same plant. Unless there were two production lines. One line for angels singing and another line for the sound of horse poop hitting the ground.

Last edited:
I own Ardesa made barrels and Jukar made barrels.

The difference between them is like night and day.

The Ardea bores look like the cutters for the rifling were dipped in warm butter. Followed by warm butter lapping. Then a warm butter polishing. Smooooth and oh so shiny.

The Jukar bores look like they were chewed into place by a bunch of drunken crack addled beavers who hung out with Hunter Biden too long. Chatter marks times infinity.

Both brands shoot OK.

But they were not produced by the same manufacturing methods and I very much doubt in the same plant. Unless there were two production lines. One line for angels singing and another line for the sound of horse poop hitting the ground.
Now that is very insightful, I am researching new things do develop. More digging needed I see unless of course your statement hit the nail on the head. The Generic is often made by the Brand

Back