• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky Rust Blue Barrel Prep

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacarper

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a few other threads regarding using LMF for rust bluing but thought I'd tackle this question with a new thread. I'm hoping I can get some opinions on the attached image. The rest of the barrel has been sanded down to 400 grit but I have this weird "pit" near the back end of he barrel. It looks to me like when the "breech" (sorry if this isn't the right terminology) was installed or maybe welded, this pit was left behind.

Ascetically, it doesn't bother me and I'm okay with moving forward with the browning/bluing, I'm just wondering if it will cause any major issues down the road or if the LMF solution could get trapped in there and pit out. I've seen similar defects in other CVA kit barrels but I'm concerned I'll have to remove too much material to try and sand it out.

As always, thanks in advance for all the help!

Attachments

• Barrel Defect.JPG
    Barrel Defect.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 59
Hello All,

I have a few other threads regarding using LMF for rust bluing but thought I'd tackle this question with a new thread. I'm hoping I can get some opinions on the attached image. The rest of the barrel has been sanded down to 400 grit but I have this weird "pit" near the back end of he barrel. It looks to me like when the "breech" (sorry if this isn't the right terminology) was installed or maybe welded, this pit was left behind.

Ascetically, it doesn't bother me and I'm okay with moving forward with the browning/bluing, I'm just wondering if it will cause any major issues down the road or if the LMF solution could get trapped in there and pit out. I've seen similar defects in other CVA kit barrels but I'm concerned I'll have to remove too much material to try and sand it out.

As always, thanks in advance for all the help!
200 grit is where i stop!/Ed

I've prepped hundreds of firearms for bluing or browning. 320 grit seems to be the sweet spot for sanding. Consistently good finish. Going to finer grades of sandpaper takes too much of the "tooth" from the metal, resulting in poor looking finish, if you can get it to stick at all.

Back