• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky rifle, convert from cap to flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qprhooligan

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a CVA Kentucky rifle in .45 cal. It is percussion and I would like to convert it to flintlock. Is that doable for a reasonable cost? If so what would I need to change? Any known source of parts?

Thanks.

If your barrel has a snail, yould need to replace the barrel as well as the lock. Id think it much more cost effective to sell your caplock and buy a flintlock.

I have a CVA Kentucky rifle in .45 cal. It is percussion and I would like to convert it to flintlock. Is that doable for a reasonable cost? If so what would I need to change? Any known source of parts?

Thanks.
I only know what I saw on the web after typing in your gun. I saw a rifle with a drum and nipple. What poker said (he was guessing cuz you did not post a photo) if it has a snail, then you need to replace the barrel. If the photo I saw, is what you have, then no barrel replacement is needed. The drum/barrel penetration needs modification for a touch hole. You still need to either convert the lock (not recommended for a novice) or get another lock. Don't know what is out there for a side plate matching lock. Fitting the new lock is another issue. They always need wood modifications. Best route for you is to get another rifle in flint. The only way I suggest you convert, is if you want a project. It would be a project!
Larry

Can someone make a conversion to change a CVA percussion rifle to flint and back? While there are talented machinists that can do it, it is something that is not to be taken lightly. For one thing, the removal of the drum to install a flint touch hole liner is a violation of the CVA warranty. Now, since CVA is no longer in existence, the warranty issue is somewhat moot. However, CVA felt that doing a conversion by removing the through breech plug assembly would weaken the breech.

Let's take a look at the CVA breech plug. Thanks to Zonie, we have a cut away picture of the breech. In the picture we can see that the drum is drilled through the breech plug then drilled for the chambered breech. To convert this breech from percussion to flint, the drum must be removed and a touch hole liner installed to fill the recess left after the CVA drum is removed.

1644019776219.png

There are flint touch hole liners with the same thread as the CVA bolster/breech plug assembly, they do not necessarily fill the recess on the far side of the bolster. A new flint lock is needed.

As most have observed, the most sure way to have a conversion from percussion to flint is to purchase a complete flint lock rifle.

Saw the drum off flush with the barrel to make the touch-hole then replace the percussion lock with a CVA Kentucky flinch lock.

I did many years ago. I had to make a Touchhole liner as I couldn't find a replacement(no internet then). I mad it from a metric bolt cut off. I bought a Traditions Flint, lock and it fit perfect. Traditions were made by the same company in Spain as CVA. I don't know if todays locks would be a exact fit. You might find a inexpensive used lock to fit the bill but in the long run, might be better of just buying a used flintlock.

others have covered the touch hole/vent/breech plug.
If you want a good lock you could always buy the blank flintlock Siler, but that's a little rich for the project at hand, at least it would be for me. YMMV Might.....might be beyond your skill/want to. Again YMMV

Back