• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky Recommended Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacarper

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I had a quick question about the recommended load for a CVA 45 Cal. Kentucky. The manual I was able to pull up shows a .440 RB, .015 patch, and 40-65 grains of 3FG. Unfortunately, my local shop that caters to muzzle loading only had .445 RB's. So my question is, will a .445 RB with .010 patch work just the same as the recommended load. I'm not as concerned with accuracy as just making sure I'm shooting a safe load.

Thanks in advance!

yes the .445 will work well with a .010 patch might get some patch blow out if you go to the larger charge ranges due to a thin patch
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Patch blow out is when the patch is completely charred (assuming you can find it after the shot) and you're not getting a good seal right?

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Patch blow out is when the patch is completely charred (assuming you can find it after the shot) and you're not getting a good seal right?

That could be the issue but sometimes it's due to rough or sharp rifling that cuts the patch which then allows blowby and a wrecked blackened patch.

Thanks everyone! Exactly the advice I was looking for. I'll also be on the lower side of the powder charge around 40-50 (just shooting paper)

If you are getting patch burning you can put a wad or a folded patch between the powder and patched ball. This should stop the patch from burning.

I have a 45 caliber rifle. I get better accuracy with the .445 ball and .010 patch. 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
I also recommend a lubed over powder patch. Helps to not blow the ball patch to smithereens.

Back