• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky pistol trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently acquired a 1983 CVA Kentucky pistol in .45 caliber. Took it out to shoot it, and noticed that when you pull the trigger, it seemed to get to a “stopping place” and you really had to keep squeezing for it to finally fire. Any suggestions on how to make it a little more “sensitive?” Thanks!

Take the lock out and see if the sear has a screw adjustment. I have a Jukar Colonial pistol and a CVA Kentucky rifle and both have an adjusting screw on the sear. Be careful though because they can be adjusted to be dangerousl.

I bought one last year and had same problem. I adjusted the screw and did some light polishing and it works great now. It was a quick easy fix. I think once you take lock out, it will be obvious.

Thanks! Did you have to tighten or loosen the screw? Mine does not have a stiff trigger pull. It moves pretty freely. It just gets to the “end” of the pull and you have to keep squeezing for it to fire.

Thanks! Tighten the screw or loosen the screw?
It has been awhile but I believe if you tighten the screw the trigger becomes more sensitive. You can cock and drop the hammer with the lock in your hand by operating the mechanism. Just watch your fingers so they don’t get pinched. Those triggers will always have excessive creep but can become hair triggers if you wish.

Ok. I took the lock off, messed with the sear spring a little, and made the sear to trigger hole in the stock a tad bigger. I think that all helped. I guess I will know when next I shoot it. Thanks all, for the helpful advice!

Back