• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA Kentucky .45 rifle... $200 is that high?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaf Smith

32 Cal
Reaction score
And a pawn shop... no doubt a kit build but the one who did it did a pretty good job ... except the 'browning' was kind of spotty.

Full stock. No patchbox.

$200 is the asking price. I doubt if they still make this one now.

The rear sight was flat, no buckhorn. Seems to look just like my CVA .45 pistol... heck the lockwork might even fit!

Google shows 70 grains with patched ball of .440 diameter (just like my .45 pistol.) Is this right?

In fact, can the pistol use the same power charge as the rifle (both CVA .45?)

Thanks!

Not a bad price but not that good either. Your pistol could use the same powder but it would be a waste of powder. Most would probably burn outside the barrel. He may not have applied enough coats of brown. It's kind of spotty when done and you keep adding addition until it evens up to your liking.

Well the guy will put it out for sale Monday or so... so next week I'll drive over and have another look. Bring my .45 pistol also to compare.

Thanks.

DS, I paid $180 for one last September. I had recently given one to my daughter that I built as a kit in 1979. I wanted another one so I bought this one. It is a factory made rifle and appears unfired. The barrel is pristine inside and out. There are no marks or dings on the stock either. I have a CVA Colonial pistol I shoot with 35grs with a round ball. My load for my older rifle was 60grs with PRB. Have fun

$200 isn't a particularly bad price in this market. Parted out it will fetch almost twice that. So if the barrel is good I'd say go for it.

Like mentioned those CVA rifles have a PITA breach and drum so if you wanted it re-bored you'd want to saw off the back end and have the thing fitted with a new breach. Which would shorten the barrel some....might not fit the stock anymore.

Yeah if the barrel is good then go for it, if the barrel needs help....pass.

A similar gun sold recently on this site for $ 240.00, IIRC.
I have a 45 caliber rifle and pistol.
440 ball, about 30 grains of 3f in the pistol and 60 to 70 grains of 3f in the rifle.
200 bucks ain't a bad price if in decent shape.

Is $200.00 for a 45 CaL flintlock rifle about the norm if the barrel is good? What is an average price for a good quality used 45 cal flintlock single trigger?

The locks are pretty sad. I have seen them bust off the half cock notch. The tumbler is not internally supported. Many other construction methods are not traditional at all. The last one I had, I gave away in working order. I had no idea on how to place a fair price. I hear they can shoot accurately.

take your wife and 6 kids out to the mall and between eats and all the other worthless things bought in a mall, you have spent more than 200. and next week the kids won't even remember what they ate or bought!
buy that CVA and 40 years from now it will either have you cussing it or kissing it. ymmv

I am looking to break into the sport. What do I look for in a good ML. I would like a 45 cal with single trigger. Am I on the right path?

I am looking to break into the sport. What do I look for in a good ML. I would like a 45 cal with single trigger. Am I on the right path?
First of all, welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

Reading and exploring on the internet are good ideas, but actually getting to handle, load and shoot a few different types of traditional muzzleloaders will really give you some ‘direction’. What part of the World do you live in? Don’t see anything in your profile. Let’s us know generally where you live and maybe someone can direct you to a club and/or offer you an opportunity to actually tryout some guns. Say what you want about folks in this ‘sport’, one thing that remains constant, is their desire to have you shoot their guns and smile. A day at the range is worth a 1000 hours of reading to paraphrase an old saying.

What about the traditional muzzleloading sport interests you? Target shooting? Hunting? Percussion? Flintlocks? Military type guns? Reenacting? Collecting? Just naming a few paths. There are no ‘correct’ paths.

Last edited:
most entry level guns with a single trigger are going to be .50

seems the sporting good stores only stock .50 gear as a matter of course and .54 as an after thought. You want to shoot anything smaller or bigger then you are stuck going on line or making your own for the most part.

Why you want a .45 specifically?

First thing to do is to check to see if there is a load in the barrel. That’s always Rule #1. Just don’t take someone else’s word that it’s “unloaded”.

If the CVA Kentucky has a good bore and the lock functions properly, $200 isn't a bad price at all. Especially these days. If you can get the price down some, so much the better. It's not necessary to spend a grand (or a LOT more) to get started in this hobby, unless that's what you want to do.
"Read read read" is always sensible advice.

most entry level guns with a single trigger are going to be .50

seems the sporting good stores only stock .50 gear as a matter of course and .54 as an after thought. You want to shoot anything smaller or bigger then you are stuck going on line or making your own for the most part.

Why you want a .45 specifically?
I understand that a 45 is a combination caliber that can be used for both deer size game and small. I also understand that it had more range than a 50. Just wondering if this true? I am just starting out.

it doesn't have more range. the weight of a ball combined with the velocity determines range.
that is if we are talking range as in "distance of effective use".
the old fight of slow heavy bullet VS, fast light bullet is never going to die, but after 60 or so years of shooting just about anything that goes bang, i LIKE slow heavy. it allows or forces me to really hunt. as in get close enough to hear them fart.

I understand that a 45 is a combination caliber that can be used for both deer size game and small. I also understand that it had more range than a 50. Just wondering if this true? I am just starting out.
What different roundball calibers have you personally tested? I do not buy into any combination calibers or modern so called compromise twists. Most any roundball calibers can be downloaded for small game and efficiently used. Personally only have experienced with 32 to 62 calibers. Beyond that, the Hawken brothers were using 1-48 twists in their guns, not as a compromise…. but rather as an efficient roundball twist. From personal experience, seems a 45 caliber roundball can keep pace with a 50 caliber roundball only in windless environments. It all comes down to what you are trying to shoot at what distance.

Latest posts

Back