• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky .45 rifle... $200 is that high?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a pawn shop... no doubt a kit build but the one who did it did a pretty good job ... except the 'browning' was kind of spotty.

Full stock. No patchbox.

$200 is the asking price. I doubt if they still make this one now.

The rear sight was flat, no buckhorn. Seems to look just like my CVA .45 pistol... heck the lockwork might even fit!

Google shows 70 grains with patched ball of .440 diameter (just like my .45 pistol.) Is this right?

In fact, can the pistol use the same power charge as the rifle (both CVA .45?)

Thanks!

Built this in the early 1980's. My son has it now. Good shooter, I don't think I ever went over 60 gr. FFFG. .440 patched round ball if I remember correctly. .45 cal. CVA Kentucky rifle kit. Easy to put together. I think I paid about 60 bucks for the kit. Really enjoyed it but lost the BP "bug". It bit me again last Spring. Had to replace everything. If you can, check the barrel on the prospective purchase. If it's rusty and/or pitted, keep looking.

210723-999  CVA 45 cal Kentucky - built in early 1980s.jpg

Built this in the early 1980's. My son has it now. Good shooter, I don't think I ever went over 60 gr. FFFG. .440 patched round ball if I remember correctly. .45 cal. CVA Kentucky rifle kit. Easy to put together. I think I paid about 60 bucks for the kit. Really enjoyed it but lost the BP "bug". It bit me again last Spring. Had to replace everything. If you can, check the barrel on the prospective purchase. If it's rusty and/or pitted, keep looking.

View attachment 117412
Adjusted for inflation, $60.00 in 1980 is equal to $203.76 in 2021
go offer 160 for the gun. pawn shop probably paid 50.00

If the CVA Kentucky has a good bore and the lock functions properly, $200 isn't a bad price at all. Especially these days. If you can get the price down some, so much the better. It's not necessary to spend a grand (or a LOT more) to get started in this hobby, unless that's what you want to do.
"Read read read" is always sensible advice.

It's not necessary to spend a grand (or a LOT more) to get started in this hobby

He hasn't started buying all the goodies that go with it yet....😉

$200 is the asking price.
par
I doubt if they still make this one now.
they don't
Seems to look just like my CVA .45 pistol... heck the lockwork might even fit!
Probably not, the lock screw locations may be different.
Google shows 70 grains with patched ball of .440 diameter (just like my .45 pistol.) Is this right?
Sure, a .440 should work, it might like a 445.
In fact, can the pistol use the same power charge as the rifle (both CVA .45?)
No. That would be beyond double the charge of the pistols max.

Rifles and pistols are different.
Not too long ago I spent 200 buying one from a gent that listed one here on the forum. The older slow-twist 45's are tack drivers.
The locks and triggers need work to smooth the action,, but those olde barrels do the job!

Last edited:
I have same type CVA .45, in flintlock. Built from a kit in 1983 to get around a New York county's "shotgun slug only" rules. They allowed muzzle-loading rifles though. I still have the instruction booklets that came with it. It lists 45 grains of ffg as the starting load and 75 grains of ffg as the max. When using fffg they recommend reducing the load by 10 to 15 percent. I've fired patched round balls, R.E.A.L. bullets and Maxi-balls out of mine. All of which the CVA booklet can be used. Mine appears to like the Maxi-balls.

I understand that a 45 is a combination caliber that can be used for both deer size game and small. I also understand that it had more range than a 50. Just wondering if this true? I am just starting out.
More range? On paper targets, maybe so.

The CVA Kentucky Rifle, as has been previously stated, is an entry level rifle with an entry level price point. I have always found it interesting that even though the lock and triggers are often lacking in toughness, they do function fairly well as a percussion lock gun. Do watch for early wear on the tumbler, sear lever and trigger levers. The barrel of these Ardesa, Spanish, sourced are very good. So, one of these rifles can be a satisfactory introduction to muzzleloading. I have outshot by users of these entry level rifles all too often. I also remember my own entry level experiences.

So, if the bore is good and the rifle has not been abused, I would check the function of the lock and the level of the triggers. If you feel comfortable with the rifle on your shoulder, then consider purchasing the rifle.

Do measure the land to land bore diameter. Early CVA 45 calibers were often more like a 44 caliber that loaded much easier with a 0.433" diameter ball.

The Traditions brand of muzzloaders share many of the same parts as CVA guns. Deer Creek will become your supplier for spare parts as well as being a source for user's manuals.

Last edited:
Another NC Mountain Man here who began building these beautiful works of murderous art in 1976, starting with two CVA mountain kits. I customized mine and got my first deer two days after I finished it. Then built the next one for General Westmoreland on the occasion of his Army retirement ceremony. Both were .50 caliber percussion. Now, 45 years later, I managed to convert my CVA rifle to a CVA flintlock, .625 smoothbore and she has never misfired. They are indestructible and highly accurate. Barrel was made in USA. I CUT OFF THE DRUM AND TAPPED A 1/4” TOW VENT LINER IN. Perfect easy fit. Took a little inletting and minor metal trim to insure a good fit. Make them an offer.👍

If you are "Jonesing" for it then buy it as for me I would not spend over $125 for it IF it was in great shape WITH a very good bore. I'm not a fan of these rifles (very poor locks) although the barrels can and do shoot good groups with the right powder/ball/patch combo :dunno: :thumb::ThankYou:

I'll go by Monday and photo the rifle and post it here.

I also have my eye on a TC Encore 28 inch barrel .308 with Vortex scope at the same pawnshop (but that ain't a front end burner!

Most of my guns are pawnshop finds! And I most certainly do dicker on prices!

If in good shape $200 is worth it for parts alone. Look at ebay and else where. Many buy these and immediately find out what they really want. Others upgrade to the better CVA lock and keep them forever.

I used to buy kits for those back in the early 70's for 69 dollars, assemble them and sell them to the Amish boys. In the early 70's I earned 5.50 an hour, . So $200 of today's dollars seems reasonable.

I would never use the same powder charge in a pistol that I would use in a rifle. I have a 45 caliber percussion pistol. I use 10 to 30 grains of FFF powder in it. I use 40 to 70 grains of FFF in my 45 caliber percussion rifle.

I think they are fine rifles, especially at that price. I have had one in .45 for 40 years or so. It is very accurate, and while the lock does look and feel cheap, I have never had a problem with mine. I also have the companion pistol in .45 that i built from a kit. The locks are completely interchangeable on mine, but bear in mind that they are both from the 1970's, other years may not be. My locks have a screw that allows adjustment on the single trigger, and it has never failed. I don't shoot them much anymore, since I've got "better" and prettier guns now. Sometimes I wished I didn't, I had great fun and success in my ignorant bliss. Buy it if the bore is good.

The mountain men typically had a pistol and often two. Also I've seen noted that the powder measures found with their guns were often small. Some in the 50 grain range. Maybe it was one measure for pistol and two for rifle??

Back