• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken .54 cal. Spain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesT

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, new member here trying to learn a little about a riffle that was given to me. It is a Connecticut Valley Arms Inc. Hawken .54 cal. SPAIN. Serial # 396780. The number 86 precedes the serial #. Is this the year it was manufactured? I believe this was possibly a kit purchased in the late 80's. It has never been fired and has been hanging on a wall since at least 1989. I contemplating learning how to load/shoot this with the proper guidance & supervision. If I'm only going to shoot it a few times would I be better off not firing it and letting it possibly increase in value. Thanks in advance.

From what I know they made then thru 85, I have three an early one made in the USA barrel in 50, and a true Big bore no patch box 54 and one gun I'm bring back from the other side. Like them, they shoot very good. Shoot it and enjoy.

Ok, CVA "big bore", wall hanger, so it's not "New in Box".
"Un-fired" and lightly used are actually really different things.
Un-fired still has factory packing greases intact/unmolested in and on the barrel and lock internals, that's fine, but all that needs a specific cleaning regime before it's shot for the first time.
Learning to shoot it is fun too, many folks here can and will help with that, the first steps are important, but all that has an easy and short learning curve to accomplish.
If marketing is still the goal after that, the listing would be lightly used, and require proper cleaning and lubrication for that kind of presentation,, another easy but specific process that needs to be done to maintain value.
Un-fired or limited use as far as value goes is very close, but un-fired leaves no question of proper care.
More to the point? Specific value increase? Markets are very high right now, with a major spike occurring in the last two years,, yet looming recession and limited funds with individuals could change opportunities.
Any Value increase in years, with either option , is small at this point.
If you can provide Photo's of the actual piece you have, member's will will help you determine current value
I just passed on a good conditioned used one for an offered $400 at a local market,, he wanted 450,, pass,,

CVA's are meant to be shot. You'll never shoot it "a few times", cause after the first shot you'll be hooked like the rest of us. Then it's down the rabbit hole from there.

Seriously though, it's best to have someone familiar with black powder firearms to kind of help you through the basic; but like myself, learned what I needed from books, videos. and forums. If black powder can't be found then Pyrodex can be used and found on the shelf at most sporting goods stores and even walmart. You will also need some .530" lead balls, lubed patches. and some #11 caps. Be sure to clean with warm water as soon as possible after shooting.

A lot of knowledge and info. here, I'm sure these guys can answer any questions you might have, although some can be a bit rough around the edges, they mean well. lol

Thank you all for your answers. I have attached a few photos. I have learned it may have been purchased hawken1.jpghawken2.jpg via mail from Gander Mountain

Attachments

• hawken3.jpg
    hawken3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hawken4.jpg
    hawken4.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • hawken5.jpg
    hawken5.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 0
  • hawken6.jpg
    hawken6.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the forum, Charles. Black powder is best but Pyrodex can be used. Pyrodex may need a little more attention applied when cleaning after shooting. But cleaning after shooting is a must. After the bore is clean and dry protect it with a good gun oil, I prefer Barricade.

Latest posts

Back