• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hammer trouble.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
So up early Sun. weather wasn't the best, I wanted to shoot Sadie CVA 54 Mountain rifle, it shoot good but some fine tuning is needed, had 4-5 miss fire's? Grouping was good two balls touching at 25, 50 had a brain fart and moved the rear sight wrong way. But the miss fires, must go away. I broke it down and found what I saw out at the range, the cap was only getting hit on the outer edge. Sure enough its right on the front outed edge of the hammer were its hitting. Photo below clearlyshows it, hammer needs to be bent @ least 1/8 for a center hit. So ran a file over the hammer its soft. So can one bend this ? Just propane for good heat ? 20220509_172147.jpg

Last edited:
In the last few months I have cold bent two CVA Mountain rifle hammers and both of the hammers on my old CVA SXS 12 bore. Remove hammers from lock (may need to take lock off the gun). Lay hammer on flat surface and get a good view of where the hammer is pre-bending. Chuck hammer in sturdy vice, carefully tap with large, heavy hammer. Check back on flat surface before reinstalling on lock/gun to gauge your progress. May have to go a few times, don’t over bend.

If a small amt. of fine tuning is needed , a small stone in a Dremel rotary tool will work wonders. Don't get carried away , and thin the sides of the inside of the hammer. Another thought I've used is to remove the hammer. Put the flat where the tumbler square hole is in a vise. Just take a large Crescent wrench , and very slightly bend the hammer shank , until when the hammer is installed , it hits the nipple perfectly. Best to sort of ," sneak up" , on the perfect bend , and not bend the hammer back and forth. Breakage can happened. Caution , will pay off here.

Spreading the hammer at top can be tricky. I would say Dremel it flat in the recess but it looks like it's pretty far fwd in the recess. If you cold bend it I suggest clamping a round rod in the bend and tighten over time so the metal moves very slow. Looks like some heat might be needed.

That was easier said then done, bending that hammer out and center took some doing. Trail and error but I got it hitting better.

Are the misfires because the cap did not go off? If they did go off then there might be a different issue, or, as we say in industry, a different challenge. I agree with getting the hammer (cock?) centered, though.

Are the misfires because the cap did not go off? If they did go off then there might be a different issue, or, as we say in industry, a different challenge. I agree with getting the hammer (cock?) centered, though.
No it took two hammer hits on each to fire.I think I got to hitting right, Pop off some caps out in the garage last night, just to make sure.

If it takes two hits to fire the nipple may be "flattened" the edge of the nipple should be a sharp edge. A little time with a tool stone can sharpen the nipple edge. I lightly chuck the nipple in a drill chuck and hold the stone to the edge and give it a few spins.

Back