• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Colonial pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_c992001

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently pulled this old pistol my dad built for me from a kit when I was about 10 off the shelf and shot it some. This was the first time it has been shot with PRB's. Usually it was shot with Ball-ets or Great Plains bullets. The load was 30gr of FFFg, a .440" ball, and pillow ticking patch. The pistol shot extremely high. Groups at 25 yards were about 3" off hand. The post style front sight is horrible, and the rear sight is way too high so I replaced it with a shorter sight I had in storage. I plan on giving it another go and maybe even cutting a dovetail for a new front sight. Any one else have or shoot one of these?

Happy birthday :hatsoff: I have one of those pistols. Try dropping the charge down to 20-25 gr FFFG.

I have two Colonial pistols and both are accurate and fun to shoot. However, the sights as they come are horrible. With one, I filed down the rear sight until elevation was correct and with the other, the small prism shaped brass front sight was replaced with some thick brass wire and shaped until elevation was correct. Once that was done the guns became viable back ups to my .45 cal. rifle and fun range pistols.

Don

Back