• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva bobcat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine does fine as a shooter hunter. Have not shot in like 10 yrs but at 50 yds I could get 3"" or better (or I wouldn't have kept it). Gotta work up its favorite meal and feed it though. Start with 50 grains and work up 5 grains at a time then start changing patch material and/or lube. Price was right huh?

Above was assuming its 50 cal they made a few .36

azmntman said:

I have one in 36, wood stock, and maybe 10 years old. Had to track it down, so there's a chance they quit making them before that.

Accurate as a snake bite. I don't think I've ever shot it at 50 yards, but at 25 it can be counted on to cut ragged holes when I do my part, .350 ball, ticking patch, grease lube and 20 grains of 3f.

It's so accurate in fact, that when my wife shot the ramrod downrange, she cut the 8 ring on a 25 yard slow-fire pistol target! :rotf:

BrownBear said:
azmntman said:

I have one in 36, wood stock, and maybe 10 years old. Had to track it down, so there's a chance they quit making them before that.

Accurate as a snake bite. I don't think I've ever shot it at 50 yards, but at 25 it can be counted on to cut ragged holes when I do my part, .350 ball, ticking patch, grease lube and 20 grains of 3f.

It's so accurate in fact, that when my wife shot the ramrod downrange, she cut the 8 ring on a 25 yard slow-fire pistol target! :rotf:

Yes but one shot does not make a good grooping! :rotf:

She's a believer in one-shot groups now. :wink:

I've been gentle about it in the years since, but I've kept that ramrod on the wall. It's aluminum, and after the shot it's bent just like an old Model T crank.

Funny part was, it did manage a great "group" of sorts. The hole started at the 8-ring and stretched right for a good 6". Kinda "wide" for a group, but you can't beat a group that's only .350" tall. :rotf:

"Yes but one shot does not make a good grooping! "

Who are you kidding? Some of my tightest groups have been with only one shot. :rotf:

I have yet to shoot a ramrod. Not bragging though because I have dry balled a couple times. Once I almost jammed a ball because it was the wrong size. Don't remember the size but I managed to get it in too far before noticing and couldn't get it back out with what I had with me at the range.

I owned the Traditions DeerHunter, the same rifle, for over 20 years. I hunted with it and shot it at targets. It was as accurate as any other production piece regardless of cost.

50 cal Bobcat black wood stock was 1st bp gun I owned, $50 about 10 years ago. Practiced 1/2 doz shots with 290 gr Powerbelts, took it hunting first time and got a 8 point whitetail at 45 yards. Fell backward about 10 feet and never got up. Still have it but have others to try now.

The only thing I've heard that is a negative about the Bobcat is many of them come with a plastic stock.

Nothing functionally really wrong with the plastic stock except it is very light weight.
This results in a lot of the recoil being transmitted directly to the shooters shoulder.

Some owners have added lead shot or other heavy things inside the butt of the stock and this can help provided the added weight is permanently attached to the inside of the stock or, there is enough of it to prevent it from moving around.

If the added weight is loose, it will not do much to absorb the recoil.

I owned mine for over 20 years and killed a goodly number of deer with that rifle. It had a wooden rod which eventually broke and I replaced it with a fiberglass one. I only sold it in order to get a Mike Lange halfstock.

Latest posts

Back