• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA ASM 1851 .36 $75 Gun show buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most shows around here never have any traditional black powder guns and when they do they are overpriced brass framed pistols, so I was pretty happy to find something to bring home.

A CVA ASM Steel Framed 1851 Navy.

It is missing the nipples, front sight and Loading Lever Retainer. I already ordered replacements for $33. So for a little over $100 I should have a complete gun.

I think this must of been a kit gun as the grips are way oversized.

My plan for now is to age it.

When done it will join my other gun show scores over the last few years.

Top to bottom $100,$100 and $350

New revolvers are so cheap, parts available, etc, I get very leery of purchasing any thing used, from a defunct maker, especially with parts missing. Vendors often try to hide problems. Looked at a very early Italian repro years ago, passed on it and a buddy bought it. Two of the nipples had been cross threaded and then just stuck in place with glue or something. Cost more than new till he paid a smith to rethread all the holes for new nipples.

. For nostalga reasons, I purchased a 36 brass framed 36 Remington repro marked Euro Arms. The nipples had been hammered bad. Bought a set of Ampco nipples, and still ended up with 2/3 of the cost of a new steel frame from a current maker.

Hope it all works out for you.

zimmerstutzen said:
New revolvers are so cheap, parts available, etc, I get very leery of purchasing any thing used, from a defunct maker, especially with parts missing. Vendors often try to hide problems. Looked at a very early Italian repro years ago, passed on it and a buddy bought it. Two of the nipples had been cross threaded and then just stuck in place with glue or something. Cost more than new till he paid a smith to rethread all the holes for new nipples.

. For nostalga reasons, I purchased a 36 brass framed 36 Remington repro marked Euro Arms. The nipples had been hammered bad. Bought a set of Ampco nipples, and still ended up with 2/3 of the cost of a new steel frame from a current maker.

Hope it all works out for you.

No doubt that happens a lot at gun shows as people try to unload their problem guns.

Deer Creek Products has most everything for this particular model except the frame and barrel.

I hope to get it shooting for under $125 total cost

Good find. :thumbsup:

As most know, CVA's single shot rifle and pistol muzzleloaders were made in Spain.

What they don't know is, the Cap & Ball pistols CVA imported were made in Italy and most of them are pretty good guns.

I found this CVA Walker at a gun show, still in the original CVA box. It was made by Armi San Marco.

I did take the liberty of removing the bluing from the cylinder so it looks more like the original Walker.

Interestingly, it is one of the few C&B pistols I have that shoots exactly to the point of aim. :)

During the first few years CVA was in business,(1971 to 1974) they sold cap and ball remington repros made by Santa Barbara in Spain. They are almost as highly valued as the Centaur revolvers made in Belgium. Rare as hens teeth. They dropped the cap and ball revolvers for about 10 years and then began selling the Italian guns.

Here it is after my first try at aging.

Added a loading lever latch, front sight and nipples.

I am very pleased with how the brass turned out.

Hopefully the steel will grey up a little more on its own.

I plan on darkening and shading the grips a little more too.

Back