• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA .54 Hawken for the record books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bpd303 said:
BTW while talking with them I learned that Deer Creek now has a web site./
Thanks much for the information. I have several of the old CVA muzzleloaders. I have gone to Deer Creek a number of times and their new website is a welcome addition.

The only shooting I have done with it so far is to check function. Haven't had time to work up an accurate load yet, other projects got in the way. With 70gr of Goex FFG a 530 ball and .015 patch lubed with moose milk, it shot very good and close to point of aim at 32 yards.

I bought a new barrel from Deer Creek several years ago for a CVA .54 Hawken. Shoots great. 6 to 8" group at 80-100 yards. Great deer rifle. Good service also. Browned mine. I use a round ball and 90 grains of Triple Seven for deer. Only shot one small buck with it so far. Hit him behind the shoulder at about 25 yards and he only went a few yards. No exit.

Billnpatti said:
Sounds plausable to me. Either that or it was intended as a display.

My thoughts, too. I suspect it was ordered by some non-shooter who wanted to hang it over the fireplace, without having to worry that anyone would ever give it a try. :idunno:

Dredging this up for the rest of the story. It's hard to believe that it's been almost 6 years since the last time I shot it. I usually clean, oil and check for any rusting on all my muzzleloaders a couple of times a year. Anyhow if I shot one of my BP guns every day it would take over a month to shoot all of them.

Now for a happy ending. One of the officers that worked with me at the department I retired from in 2013 has always wanted to get into muzzleloading. I check in with them every week and have asked him several times if he ever got a muzzleloader and the answer was always no because his budget didn't have any extra money in it for one with all the extra stuff he would have to get.

I have so much stuff that I really don't need so with my wife's blessing, I decided to gift this CVA Hawken to him, along with everything he will need to shoot and maintain & clean it.

My wife & I stopped by the PD last Friday and I went in first with all the accoutrements in two sacks which contained a 3/4 full can of fffg Goex powder with a screw on spout, adjustable powder measure, 2 tins of RWS caps, round balls, patches, lube, jag & patch worm, nipple wrench, short ball starter and a camo belt pouch to hold it all for when he goes hunting. The LT. who replaced me called him into his office while my wife waited out in the hallway with the rifle hidden behind her.

I told him all that stuff should get him started and while we were showing it all to him, I said oh there is something else and the Chief brought her in with the rifle. I said happy Sept, 18, it's yours now. You could have knocked him over with a feather. We spent about the next couple of hours going over how to load & clean it along with safety measures that have to be followed etc. The LT. an avid M/L shooter & hunter, said he would go out to the range with him to sight it in for muzzleloading deer season next month.
All in all it was a very good day.:thumb:

Just got a text from him with a picture of a nice 8 point buck he took with the 54 patched round ball at 100 yards. I'll try and get it off my smarter .than me phone and post it
237.jpeg

Had to ask my wife but here it is.

Last edited:
Dredging this up for the rest of the story. It's hard to believe that it's been almost 6 years since the last time I shot it. I usually clean, oil and check for any rusting on all my muzzleloaders a couple of times a year. Anyhow if I shot one of my BP guns every day it would take over a month to shoot all of them.

Now for a happy ending. One of the officers that worked with me at the department I retired from in 2013 has always wanted to get into muzzleloading. I check in with them every week and have asked him several times if he ever got a muzzleloader and the answer was always no because his budget didn't have any extra money in it for one with all the extra stuff he would have to get.

I have so much stuff that I really don't need so with my wife's blessing, I decided to gift this CVA Hawken to him, along with everything he will need to shoot and maintain & clean it.

My wife & I stopped by the PD last Friday and I went in first with all the accoutrements in two sacks which contained a 3/4 full can of fffg Goex powder with a screw on spout, adjustable powder measure, 2 tins of RWS caps, round balls, patches, lube, jag & patch worm, nipple wrench, short ball starter and a camo belt pouch to hold it all for when he goes hunting. The LT. who replaced me called him into his office while my wife waited out in the hallway with the rifle hidden behind her.

I told him all that stuff should get him started and while we were showing it all to him, I said oh there is something else and the Chief brought her in with the rifle. I said happy Sept, 18, it's yours now. You could have knocked him over with a feather. We spent about the next couple of hours going over how to load & clean it along with safety measures that have to be followed etc. The LT. an avid M/L shooter & hunter, said he would go out to the range with him to sight it in for muzzleloading deer season next month.
All in all it was a very good day.:thumb:
This is why I really enjoy this forum; there are still good people in this world. Thank you for doing that, and for sharing!

Back