• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA .50 Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I finally got to shoot a .50 Cal Mountain rifle I recently purchased. Having given my CVA Hawkin to my kid for Christmas, this was to replace it. I need to remember, never been shot, usually equates to never been cleaned as well. It took allot of scrubbing and the barrel is dark. I also had issues with cap ignition, I would almost wager it was on a wall with the hammer cocked. The lock though is clean, and when it shot it shot true. Any deer would’ve been meat on the hoof.

2014-01-01182514_zps51e5df8d.jpg

Found 75 grains to be the magic load. Oddly enough, the left hand group is mine, the right hand is my sons. It says allot about stance, cheek placement and trigger pull. We were only standing a couple feet apart, but using the same rifle. Targets at 50 yards. Yep, the zinger is mine, it was the first shot.

2014-01-01165655_zpse10e5a6e.jpg

I do believe it is a keeper though, once I replace the mainspring.

I'd say "keeper" is a good choice of words. So many of CVA's stuff was not the shiniest out there but was oh, so serviceable. That Mountain Rifle and the matching pistol got drug over many a furlong around central Texas and elsewhere. I always had trouble with the Mountain Rilfe as far as fit was concerned. Never could get comfortable with the stock design for some reason. Since it only seems to be me, guess it's a Magilla Gorilla shape that does it! Find the matching pistol and you be 'uptown Saturday nite'! :thumbsup: :haha:

We deer had a meeting. We all agreed we don't want you to replace any parts please.
Thanks.

Maybe a good idea to try a new nipple and see if that helps the cap ignition. If it comes down to a weak main spring Dear Creek will have the replacement parts you need. One common problem with the mountain rifle was the trigger plate inlet too deep which will affect the set trigger function, just a heads up.

Nipple was the first thing I switched out, but to no avail. Mainsprings are not that expensive, and even if it isn't, it's always handy to have a spare in the range box - just like extra nipples.

Yea, that's my eldest son's shooting, for Christmas he got a bent bolt handle and a PU scope. He's not hooked on BP yet,,, :stir: ,,, yet. I gave my youngest son my Hawkin, the look on his face made my whole Christmas. Hope to spend more father/son time with him this year.

What will be interesting though, is when my daughter comes home to visit,,,,,,, I think she had a hankering for that rifle.

That's some shooting there! I've been looking for Mtn rifle for some time now, just haven't seen one pop up yet.

Just like any hunter; be patient and one will cross your path. Of course picking your game trail has allot to do with it, along with not hesitating to shoot. I'm thinking I know where there's one to be had for about $140 in .50 Cal. Murphy's Law states; you'll have multiple opportunities for what your not looking for, until you want to find it. What I'm hunting for right now is a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock, preferably in German Silver. Sure I could go out a buy it, but that's half the fun. I hear I can buy venison in the store too.

About 1981 I bought a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle Kit. It was made without a patch box but had a pretty curly maple stock. It was and still is a very accurate rifle. Over the years I put lots of meat in the freezer with it. I haven't hunted with it since about 1996 which at the time I switched to flintlock rifles for hunting. I have been thinking of converting it to flint ignition and start using it again.
You have a nice rifle there and should get lots of enjoyment shooting and hunting with it.

I love my CVA Mountain .58. They didn't come with a patchbox. Mine I picked up for little to nothing($30) due to a small chip on the toe of the stock, and a missing butt plate. Modern gun auctions often pay off. I still laugh at what the Elvis Presley Commemorative Winchester sold for, as well as the bid frenzy (that was one butt-ugly rifle). The Big Bore was still in the white and unfired. The stock on mine though is blond. I've often contemplated refinishing it to a darker wood, but the blond grows on you after a while,,,,,,, makes it,,,,,, kinda different.

Yea, I should start seeing a bunch now that I'm not looking for one. I got you Axxxxxxxxxn, I'll keep an eye out,,,, might help the odds in my hunt.

Here's my pair:

The top rifle is a later, "spain" marked rifle in .50, and is a factory finished version. I bought it for $125.00 in the late 1990's. It's in great shape.

The lower is the "Big Bore" version in .54, I built this rifle from a kit in 1981 when I lived in Alaska. I recently refinished it in a rough finish to complement to rusty metal finish and started shooting it again after 20 years.

I like 'em.

standard.jpg

Back