• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD CVA 50 Cal Left Handed Gamester Hawken Muzzleloader was $325 then $275 now reduced to $265

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I decide not to remove the lock from the rifle and fire a couple of caps instead. The main spring is very strong and the cap fired as it should but unfortunately the end of the hammer has been damaged. I don’t know what caused the end to split. Not sure if I will be able to find a replacement hammer for a lefty rifle or may just part the gun out. If you are interested in the rifle at reduced price you can make me a offer.
Thanks

Two pictures

Attachments

• 303DA043-C776-42BA-9948-5311B212B019.jpeg
    303DA043-C776-42BA-9948-5311B212B019.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 284CF53B-AC11-4CE2-87A5-830153BDFB7B.jpeg
    284CF53B-AC11-4CE2-87A5-830153BDFB7B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Are you referring to the inverted V on the front of the hammer? That is normal on many percussion locks Here is a picture of a left hand lock from a Pedersoli made shotgun I’ve been working on. It you look closely you will also notice it has a crack where the thumb piece of the hammer connects to the hammer. I have a new one ordered in case I can’t repair this one.
image.jpg

I decide not to remove the lock from the rifle and fire a couple of caps instead. The main spring is very strong and the cap fired as it should but unfortunately the end of the hammer has been damaged. I don’t know what caused the end to split. Not sure if I will be able to find a replacement hammer for a lefty rifle or may just part the gun out.
Not damage that's a normal design to vent cap spray away from shooters face.
thanks for the info

Attachments

• 6A141242-8270-433C-AB9B-7A038A04262C.jpeg
    6A141242-8270-433C-AB9B-7A038A04262C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1B6B79AB-56D6-43F6-808F-0FAEE1FA036A.jpeg
    1B6B79AB-56D6-43F6-808F-0FAEE1FA036A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I decide not to remove the lock from the rifle and fire a couple of caps instead. The main spring is very strong and the cap fired as it should but unfortunately the end of the hammer has been damaged. I don’t know what caused the end to split. Not sure if I will be able to find a replacement hammer for a lefty rifle or may just part the gun out.

thanks for the info
I don’t remember it looking that way before I shot it. Is it possible the nipple is too long?

If it is firing fine and the hammer is hitting pretty square on the nipple when viewed from the side you are fine. In many ways these guns are simple and have tolerance for working well while not being perfect. If perfection was required they would be a real pain. But most of us are tinkerers and like to improve things. Nothing wrong with that. Still there is wisdom in the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Don't over think it CVA hammers look like that. The nipple is not to long. That is a standard CVA /TRADITIONS nipple

Thanks for the information the Muzzleloader forum is a great resource. Never experienced that with my Thompson Centers

I have purchased the rifle from Nick. The transaction went very smoothly. He shipped it promptly and it was very well packaged. In our work with kids, we often encounter left hand shooters and this rifle will be a great addition for working with left hand shooters. Hats off to Nick, he's an old school gentleman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back