• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA 50 cal Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_c992001

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was in a gun shop yesterday and saw a CVA 50 cal carbine. The gun was very short, probably a 20" barrel. The barrel was half octogon and half round. Interior was great! The usual scuffs from previous trips into the woods. Seemed to be well maintained. The price tag was $169, but I know the owner can do better than that. Anyone with any experience with these?

CVA offered a couple different carbines over the years. If it's in good shape, get it. Great for the little ones to shoot and handy in thick cover or for the oldster whose muscles aren't today what they once were.

Some have rubber recoil pads, some with double triggers, some with single, sling mounts, etc.

shawn_c992001 said:
I was in a gun shop yesterday and saw a CVA 50 cal carbine. The gun was very short, probably a 20" barrel. The barrel was half octogon and half round. Interior was great! The usual scuffs from previous trips into the woods. Seemed to be well maintained. The price tag was $169, but I know the owner can do better than that. Anyone with any experience with these?

I have an older CVA "Hunter-Hawken Carbine" in a .50 caliber percussion cap carbine with a 24-inch barrel which is extremely accurate using 70 grains of Swiss FFFg behind a Hornady swagged, patch ball. This load will shoot through deer most of the time with a "hit" in the kill-zone.

The neat little carbine has double-set triggers, a reddish-colored (factory?) recoil pad and only weighs 6.5 pounds. It is very "handy" in the woods and shoots tight little inter-locking 3-shot groups at 25 yards off a solid bench-rest with sandbags and a rifle rest.

It also likes 47 grains of FFFg (either Swiss or Goex) for "paper-punching" and is very accurate with this load as well.

It was for sale at our gun-club for $150 by a guy I knew fairly well... and he let me have it for $100 even. It was in very good condition with only a very tiny bit of light rust on 2 adjoining "flats" where the butt-end of the barrel goes into the stock... and a little WD-40 on some orange crocus-cloth took care of that.

The bore on this carbine is very tight and must be swabbed out every other shot or the 3rd shot is almost impossible to load.

Good luck on obtaining that sweet little carbine. :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Opppppppppssssssss...

After pondering my post (just above), I realized I used the very finest grade of steel wool (xxxx-grade?) lightly wet with WD-40 to remove the light rust, not crocus-cloth!!! Sorry 'bout that... :redface:

And don't rub too hard or you'll take the bluing or browning off the metal. :doh:

Back