• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA 45 cal barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer flinter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. I have a old cva barrel from a cva kentucky rifle i rebarreled to a .40 cal. I was thinking of using this barrel also as a switch barrel gun. My question is this barrel is missing the cva drum that came on it, it was one of those drums that went all the way across the breech plug. I was going to replace it with one of the ones from TOW that has the same thread pitch. This one only goes in the depth of the bore. Do you think the barrel will be strong enough in the breech area with the original drum missing?

I had to replace the drum on my CVA 45 kentucky. I used the TOW drum. So far, so good on up to 70 grains.. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, it's a bear to get clean because the fouling fills all those exposed threads. And then drying it becomes an issue as I don't want damp residue in those crevices. Probably an overabundance of caution, I plug and fill it with some IPA, drain, patch dry and heat the barrel after a cleaning to get all the moisture out. No idea if my fear is founded or not, but even still, I tend to avoid using the rifle because of all of that. Used to be my go-to target/competition rifle. Now it comes out to hunt once per year.

I had to replace the drum on my CVA 45 kentucky. I used the TOW drum. So far, so good on up to 70 grains.. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, a bear to get clean because the fouling fills all those exposed threads. And then drying it becomes an issue as I don't want damp residue in those crevices. Probably an overabundance of caution, I plug and fill it with some IPA, drain, patch dry and heat the barrel after a cleaning to get all the moisture out. No idea if my fear is founded or not, but even still, I tend to avoid using the rifle because of all of that. Used to be my go-to target/competition rifle. Now it comes out to hunt once per year.
I was going to comment on similar potential cleaning concerns, but have not personally made the modification, so no first hand experience. My concern comes from looking at a cutaway of a CVA percussion breech area. If one were to remove the OEM drum and replace it with a shorter aftermarket version, say one from TOW, it seems obvious that there are plenty of little crapp traps for fouling to get caught in. But as long as one has an effective cleaning method, all should be good.
1677299649478.jpeg

Thank you guys. I was thinking the same thing on the cleaning aspect. My biggest concern was the safety aspect.

I replaced one in a cva mtn rifle. I was able to obtain a drum with the correct length. I don't remember where I got it but just saying look hard. I know, not much help. 😞

Here’s a CVA barrel with the breech plug and drum removed. Not mine, I saw it at an event.

Attachments

• 7ED4E92A-0085-454C-8B11-2B0B2FBA221D.jpeg
    7ED4E92A-0085-454C-8B11-2B0B2FBA221D.jpeg
    981.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 0A54E091-DDCA-49AA-9EA5-5BF3C8860F09.jpeg
    0A54E091-DDCA-49AA-9EA5-5BF3C8860F09.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8FD581AB-4698-4116-8389-72829B8BEC3A.jpeg
    8FD581AB-4698-4116-8389-72829B8BEC3A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • B8706ACC-CE48-4154-8C58-64798E611E07.jpeg
    B8706ACC-CE48-4154-8C58-64798E611E07.jpeg