• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA 1862 Pocket pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brstevns

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a CVA 1862 in unused condition. Was wondering what you think about it?
What would be a good starting load etc.?

The CVA 1862 Pocket revolver was probably made by Pietta. As a design it's a fine small frame revolver. The Pocket Police retains the smooth lines of the 1860 Army/1861 Navy and is one of the more eye-pleasing Colt guns. The Pocket Navy resembles the 1851 Navy with it's octagonal barrel and is thus a more classic line. I personally find both a bit small for my tastes but their light weight makes them easy to carry and easy to hand. Both are as accurate as the shooter, probably better.

My Pocket revolvers are made by Uberti and Colt's Manufacturing Co.; I don't have experience with Pietta's execution of the design. In general, however, Pietta's history is a bit checkered with very significant improvement in their later guns.

As for a starting load, I'd go with 15 gr fffg with a lubed felt wad. I doubt you'll find anything over 25 gr accurate enough to consider. I believe the gun will work with 0.375 balls, whereas the Uberti guns need 0.380's.
0037.jpg

Robert - I believe you are correct. ASM, not Pietta, made the majority, if not all, of CVA's percussion revolvers.

I have 2 kit made cva 1862 police pocket pistols with brass frames. One's a shooter the other is junk- (Saving it for parts for the other one). Right now the junk one is in a shadow box with accessories hanging on the living room wall. Both are stamped near the front site with:
CONNECTICUT VALLEY ARMS-MADE IN ITALY
ASM BLACK POWDER ONLY CAL.36 MADE IN ITALY
The CVA logo is stamped in the brass frame below the hammer on the right side

Back