• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA 1860 Navy front site help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubylives

32 Cal
Reaction score
Did I order the wrong front sight? I am completely new to these.

Jeremy

Attachments

• 20211127_044144.jpg
    20211127_044144.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 59
Someone with experience in don't gave will chime but my guess is yes/no
The pictured sight is to solder on a round smooth surface where as you have a slot position already milled into your barrel ..
I would try to find a sight whose thickness will fit the provided slot via friction fit then file the height and upper blade thickness to suit your guns accuracy at the yardage you prefer
Go looking at a hardware/farm store for a large heavy BRASS washer as you starting point
It will be a fun project ..teach you some skill sets ..and make you proud when you accomplish the mission..
Or you can epoxy that pinched heart sight in place and use windage to correct wherever it has you shooting
I encourage the first solution ..it will be fun
Bear

There is a YouTube vid on changing the front site. I tried to post a link but it wouldn't work. It is an interference fit.
Look for , "Replacing the front site on an 1860 army revolver."

Last edited:
Where is the original front sight blade? Did it come out and you lost it or are you trying to replace it with a taller one? Try VTI parts for a replacement or call them and tell them what you want to do.

Where is the original front sight blade? Did it come out and you lost it or are you trying to replace it with a taller one? Try VTI parts for a replacement or call them and tell them what you want to do.

No idea where it is. Bought it without it. What is VTI? Like I said I am new to this.

Put a taller front sight to begin with. Leave room to file and adjust it.
Often BP revolvers shoot high. Navy Arms items are becoming
collectible. Try to accurately restore it, while having some heighth.

It was in terrible shape when I got it. Could barely see the navel scene on the cylinder. Just finished rebluing it and finished the grips. Just now need the front sight. I think it turned out ok.

Attachments

• 20211127_132956.jpg
    20211127_132956.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 43
It was in terrible shape when I got it. Could barely see the navel scene on the cylinder. Just finished rebluing it and finished the grips. Just now need the front sight. I think it turned out ok.
Is the replacement sight slightly wider than the slot? If so, perfect! The Very Tall Iguana strikes again. (He’s really the best…)

I slightly bevel the site and then persuade it to enter the slot with an 8 oz. ball peen hammer. If the sight is missing entirely I buy the sight meant for the Uberti Richards Mason conversion revolver. It’s taller than the 1860/61 sight and usually brings point of impact closer to point of aim. Part number is: UB:900015

Description
Uberti Front Sight for Round Bbl (Open Top, R-Mason, R-Army)

If the sight is loose in the slot I would put a drop of Liquid Solder-it into the slot, add the sight and heat the works with a propane torch. When it bubbles it’s essentially done… allow it to cool and go shooting!

Latest posts

Back