• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CVA 1847 Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkpatrick

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have this CVA 1847 Walker and it shoots fine.
I wanted a new set of nipples for it so I ordered them off Track The Wolf.
They sent me the nipples they show are for the 1847.

The old nipples I have thread in with no resistance but these new ones, after one turn, it was hard to turn them. So I stopped, I didn't want to bungle up the threads in that cylinder.

Anyone know anything about the CVA line of 1847 Walkers?
What kind of nipples do they use and where can I get some?

Thanks for any info,

M

Thats what I got from Track the Wolf. 1/4-28 thread nipples.
They are not fitting.

I wrote CVA about this, they were no help. They said it was produced before their merger and have no info on it at all.
The nipples I got from Track definitely are hard to turn. The ones that are with that gun are easy to turn.

Screws that feel good for the first turn or so and then tighten up a lot are usually the wrong pitch (or a English/Metric close match). Take the cylinder and old and new nipples to the hardware store and figure out what the sizes are. Do NOT force, unless you intend to never take that apart again.

The old nipples I have thread in with no resistance but these new ones, after one turn, it was hard to turn them. So I stopped, I didn't want to bungle up the threads in that cylinder

Not to start a big rah rah, I believe the early CVA walker might possibly have had a 6mmx1mm thread. Might have to do a little smithing on
that one to get the right hammer to nipple clearance after installing new 6mmx1mm nipples. I agree with 45D the weapon is more than likely Armo San Marko. One that has survived, good to hear. Study the Walker, you will find designated markings of who made it and the year either in a boxed letters or roman numeral. This sight has explanations for these markings in the technical section. I
CVA was very unstable in the days of the so called merger, In their younger days they were good reliable company.

You can pretty much bet that the nipples on your CVA are metric, call up Track and they can probably help you sort it out and get the correct ones.

The old nipples I have thread in with no resistance but these new ones, after one turn, it was hard to turn them. So I stopped, I didn't want to bungle up the threads in that cylinder.

Thanks for any info,

M

Some of the earliest CVA stuff was pretty nice. How long have you been shooting it?

Thanks for any info,

M
I have a 1851 leman colt uses 12-28 threaded nipples

I've had it for 20 years or so. I get to firing it once every so often, I'll end up shooting a bunch through it, then clean it up good and put it away. I was working in aerospace and traveled a lot. So often, I would shoot it a few days, clean it up and put it away and not touch it again for a year. Being gone for 7 months at a time was not uncommon.
Now I'm retired from it.
So I'm getting serious about muzzle loading again, especially that modern firearm shooting has become exorbitant in cost. I can still fire these percussion revolvers for way cheaper. And, I just like the old guns.

This gun is in good shape. I will go to a hardware store and try to check the thread size.

Have one in stainless steel circa 1986, never fired.

Attachments

• 16922812613245126864708699591062.jpg
    16922812613245126864708699591062.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back