• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cutting a crescent?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to restock my T/C Hawken with a maple pre-inlet stock. I'm going to need to cut in for the buttplate. What is the best process to do this?
Thanks!

One little can of inletting black will last you a lifetime, or until you lose it. Which ever comes first.

I rough the shape on to the stock with the bandsaw. Make the of the plate parallel to the top line of the stock first. It must be pointed the exact line as the top of the stock. IO use chisels and scrapers on the to shelf. Then leave the the shelf on the stock alone and move the plate foreword based on the the places it touches in the crescent part. Use a rasp. ONLY CUT toward the middle of the stock. If you cut from the inside to the outside you will spall of the outside of the stock. When it gets really close switch to a double cut file. Then sandpaper. I stop at about 90% contact. I do not beat the butplate to fit the stock. That looks sloppy and can chip off the outside of the stock. I like big fat sharpie markers for spotting stuff. Being pressure sensitive you will not get false marks and a big mess.

The "tool" I use might not be suitable for some builders....I use a Dremel w/ a woodcutter first and when close, use a sandpaper wheel. Prussian Blue is used to "spot" where wood is to be removed. As was said.....the Bplate return must be in line w/ the comb and held down when the Bplate is moved in to spot the high areas for wood removal.

When using a Dremel, the direction of cut in reference to cutter rotation has to be observed otherwise the cutter can climb w/ disastrous results.

When first starting to build MLers, I used a chisel to inlet the Bplates, but then started to use the Dremel because it's faster. Many years as a tool and diemaker enables me to properly use a Dremel or hand grinder.

For many builders using a bent chisel and coarse and fine rifflers are the best tools to use. .....Fred

I trace the curve of the buttplate onto a piece of cardboard and transfer to stock then cut on a bandsaw.

Back