• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cut off breach and re-thread?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camel73

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I got a good deal on an early fusil de chasse kit already put together and was told I could shoot it. (!)
Maybe it's good I got it first before somebody else did.

No threaded breech plug?
Looks welded or brazed?

Also, I just finished the 18 page India conversation...

I had planned on plinking/hunting with it but once I took it apart I thought I'd seek wiser counsel first.

Maybe have it X-rayed if it's not too expensive. Maybe it is threaded?

I really like everything about it, but I'm pretty bummed about no threaded breech.

Underneath it is stamped:
R.G.M.CO JDAIPUR INDIA
A//1404 11•4•11

What can I do about this?

It should read UDAIPUR, probably an incomplete stamp making the U look like a J. The Indian guns I've owned and seen have had threaded plugs. As hawkeye noted, pics will help a lot.

It's so smooth there... And looking at the close up pics I just took.....
I do (now) see a line.
Maybe I did get an ok one after all.
Working on the pics

Let's try this...

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_205053470.jpg
    IMG_20210124_205053470.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20210124_210353917.jpg
    IMG_20210124_210353917.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 189
Ok, thank you.
Which way should I attempt to turn it?
Might sound like a dumb question but unfortunately I've read accounts of both.

The breech plug line is clearly apparent in the pics.
I see no need in "Proofing" a modern made barrel.
That comes from a time when barrels were lap welded along their entire length using unknown metals usually of iron.

If it was mine, I'd finish assembly and go shooting.

Nice!
Thank you.

I found out it was made at the
Rajasthan Gun Manufacturing Co. in India.
Still learning about it.

My first shot would be with a standard load, not an excessive load. What you are looking for is any leakage at the breech plug. The barrel is unlikely to burst in normal use. There's no point in over stressing a modern steel barrel, even one from India, unless you live where there is a proofing requirement such as England or Europe.

You can use the standard 20 gauge smooth bore components. For shot, stick with three or four over shot cards over the powder, nicked on the edges to allow air to pass during loading. An over shot card or the card and a well oiled wad (@Skychief load) to complete the loading.

Plug the vent and pour in a few ounces of light oil and let stand a while. If the oil leaks, the plug should be removed,(counter clockwise from the back) and the threads and fit checked.

Ok, sounds good.
Thank you guys.

I'm really excited.
I really like it.

I'm going to start a more appropriate thread title, since my mind is at ease now about the breech.

Looks like a flange type of breech plug, FYI sometimes these Indian breech plugs are threated to the left not the right, so if you’re having trouble you might want to right the right side a shot.

Latest posts

Back