• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cut at the muzzle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just watching Black Powder TV on you tube. Patches being cut at the muzzle.
All an all by the time I pick up a tin, remove a patch, Cap tin and return to bag, center it, and start ball, I don’t think I save any time compared to cutting at the muzzle

Mr. McBride does a clever thing where he ties his patching material to the bag strap, where it can be slid up and down as needed. I have always carried loose strips in the bag and left the greased or moistened end hanging out of the bag but his method looks even faster since you don’t need to replace the strip after cutting. I also love his idea of putting round balls loose in the pouch where they naturally gather at the bottom and are easy to grab.

I looked at his videos, most informative, I particularly liked the idea of cutting a strip of patch material and having it hang of my bag strap. likewise the loose balls in the bottom of the pouch, time to change !

I do the button trick too. A button hole in the patching and buttoned to the shirt.

Ive always simply dropped the balls into the bag. Patches in a tin and balls in a ball bag always seemed like putting up obstacles to loading.

Both methods work if done properly. I keep a strip of patching tied to my pouch strap or horn strap. Have done for plenty years because it works for me. I spit-lube if I'm going to shoot right soon and grease-lube if I'm hunting, with a loading block hung on the pouch strap for follow-up shots. I started with a 6-round block, switched to a 3-round block a couple seasons later, and so far haven't ever used more than one of the 3 on a given days hunt --- but Shucks! It's only been 40 years or so. My advice is, try every different way you can think of and then use what suits you. There floats my stick.
Tanglefoot

It seems most are in favor for cutting at the muzzle. And I really like the idea of having a strip hanging from a coat or the shooting bag strap. That would definitely save us from fumbling around with this and that

Latest posts

Back