• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Customizing the Traditions Kentucky rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatncamp

western edge of the Catskills
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit .50 cal / flintlock and I was wondering if other people had experience with customizing these. I have not built a kit in 40 years and as I look at the ones that I did back then, they are not very good. Just retired and so I am planning on working on this through the fall and early winter, taking my time. Just wondered what people would recommend adding. Also, does anyone make a one piece replacement stock for these? Got the kit for a steal from a guy who was given it as a gift and had no desire to pursue black powder / flintlocks so investing in some add-ons will not break the bank. My plans are to do some practice on this one and then buy one of Tracks Willits Brown Bess kits next year. Thinking about adding a patch box, perhaps a thumb piece, and some other stock inlay. Any constructive thoughts? I know these are not historically accurate kits but for $200 I am just looking for some practice.

Thanks,

Woody

There’s a few threads here on building these kits. Some did a fair amount of improvements others just got them to shoot. Do a search to find them as some have pictures that are helpful.

You came to the right place. 😉 I have built 2, one percussion, one flint. Look up my posts here for details on what I did. With some effort, they can look pretty nice, and are good shooters for the money.
20200409_102757.jpg20190730_212007.jpg

Thank you Phil and everyone else.
I am checking out various things to add some flash to the kit that are on TOW.

Eager to start it, but summer here in upstate NY is too short so the projects around the house come first.

Woody

I built one with a southern mountain style patchbox. I think it turned out ok.

Attachments

• 69E88652-E641-416D-94DC-C535DBF11AFC.jpeg
    69E88652-E641-416D-94DC-C535DBF11AFC.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 114
Yes, I am thinking that I will add a patch box of some design if not just for the added practice of inleting. That along with some stars at the barrel pins and perhaps something on the wrist. I will have to check out the nose cap to see how much metal can be removed to to match a thinning of the forestock where it meets the barrel. Thanks to all that have shared

Woody

I would say when it comes to building a kit no matter what kind it is you are limited only by your imagination. Its your gun, do what you want. I just wish when I built my T/C Renegade 30+ years ago I would have done something to it. But like some I just wanted something to shoot.

Back