• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom nipples?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I acquired a 1st model Dragoon with a 1976 proof date but no manufacturer’s marks. I believe it to be an Armi San Marco, but perhaps Armi San Paolo - I just don’t know. Anyway, I never noticed before I was cleaning it the other day but the tops of the nipples are not flat but indented on about 2/3 of the surface. The caps go bang without fail and split cleanly but I haven’t yet fired this gun with powder to see if they blow apart from the blowback. I’ll do that in a few days but in the meantime I wonder if anyone knows anything about these nipples. Are/were they manufactured that way or customized? If anyone has fired them before how well do they work?

I bought a revolver that had Slixshot nipples already so I tried them out. Honestly I wasn’t too impressed. I didn’t think that they helped prevent cap jams anymore than the stock nipples.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 56E953A9-E418-4B38-A4F1-D96C88C06FFF.jpeg
    56E953A9-E418-4B38-A4F1-D96C88C06FFF.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 110
I have never seen anything like that before. With uniform bluing they seem to have been manufactured that way but for no reason I can imagine. When installed in the cylinder do they all index the same way? Tit toward the outside of the cylinder or the inside or just randomly?

That's a new one on me as well. My guess is someone (previous owner maybe?) was doing some experimenting and was good at blueing.

All the nipples are identical. They don’t index the same way. The hammer is softer steel so it couldn’t have ”molded” the nipples. The hammer is marked a little bit from dry firing (not me).

Now I’m interested in firing this gun to see if it helps prevent cap jams.

... or a Bubba trying to open up a flash channel. +1 on checking hammer face. That'll narrow things down.

Them cones is messed up bad. If ignition system ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Weird --- Looks to me like a bad machining job :dunno: :rolleyes:o_O

Also reduces hammer blow back problems when notched on both sides or cut with a jewlers saw...c
Hammer blowback is a fault and should not happen , it is often caused by the nipple hole being to large or a weak mainspring or both , It can break the sear , the hammer and the tumbler as well as the mainspring , if you have hammer blow back change the nipple , it is cheaper than changing the lock internals .

Thank you all for your thoughts. I’m convinced these nipples were manufactured this way. They appear too uniform and too well done to be a homemade job. The “cut” face of the nipple doesn’t meet the flat at a perfect square notch, something that may be difficult to see in my photos. I do plan to try them at the range soon.

Hammer blowback is a fault and should not happen , it is often caused by the nipple hole being to large or a weak mainspring or both , It can break the sear , the hammer and the tumbler as well as the mainspring , if you have hammer blow back change the nipple , it is cheaper than changing the lock internals .

For your prefered tuning needs or just maybe a reliable heavy trigger type tune I agree. Some of my revolvers are NMLRA / NRA match tuned. A very light trigger ,about 10oz is used to win those matches. A light hammer spring and return spring is needed. Most Master class and High Master shooters use no more than about a 1 pd trigger. Hammer blow back can be an issue even with new nipples and light loads. Reliability in these matches is secondary. Your needs may differ...c

Back