• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom heirloom pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, wanted to share some pictures of a presumably custom flintlock that has been passed down through the family. I'll get better pictures in a bit.

4260EAB2-A599-401C-A577-7FB063F220E4.jpeg
71DC14E2-304E-4134-8147-9DBB3705FCB2.jpeg

That is my favorite style of pistol. Reminds me of my squirrel gun...what caliber is it? What is the length of that barrel? Looks like a 10" be extra careful when loading with that ramrod. It seems like the original. Grip it close to the muzzle and inch your loads down. You don't want to snap it in two and break your heart.

I'd buy a couple of different sized flints for it, and let the flint guys tell you what you need to do with them. Then get yourself some goex or swiss black powder, 3f, and 4f, a pound of each, and order some pillow ticking.

It looks like it was made to be used, not for show. Is it rifled or smooth? Do you have any idea how long it has been in your family? Don't sell it.

Rifled, not sure of the caliber, I believe .50.
It is part of a pair with a rifle that I'm not sure the location of, still family held by someone.

It has been abouts since the 60s atleast.

That is my favorite style of pistol. Reminds me of my squirrel gun...what caliber is it? What is the length of that barrel? Looks like a 10" be extra careful when loading with that ramrod. It seems like the original. Grip it close to the muzzle and inch your loads down. You don't want to snap it in two and break your heart.

I'd buy a couple of different sized flints for it, and let the flint guys tell you what you need to do with them. Then get yourself some goex or swiss black powder, 3f, and 4f, a pound of each, and order some pillow ticking.
Thanks for the advice Rooster. I would think around 10" or so. Would probably use a different rod altogether. I'll have to get all that together if the pops indicates I can shoot it. I'd like to put together a Kibler kit to convince him it'll be alright. Haha. Definitely soon. Southern or Colonial is the question.

I would think around 10" or so.

Would probably use a different rod altogether.

You'll like loading rods like these (the gaming table has 2" squares)

0sju6lsl.jpg

The upper rod is a finely-finished rod from a fancy dueling pistol set with what looks like a polished mahogany knob.
The lower rod is one for supporting an offhand shooting rifle, that I put together from whatever I had on hand at the time.

Here's pic that's a little clearer

pZS0Qgll.jpg

Latest posts

Back