• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Custom Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build anything you like and you are happy with , Just don't call it a Hawken 🤣 🤣 🤨
Yeah the Hawken thing is way overdone and when I tried to learn what a "real" Hawken was my mind glazed over! That being said I actually really like the half stocked Jonathon Browning rifle that I have that I think is supposed to be a Hawken-like rifle. That is what drew me back to the Jaeger as I like the stock better. Getting used to the pointy butt thing but still not a huge fan of it!

I am slowly being drawn to the long rifles but with a propellent such as black powder what are you really gaining with that long of a barrel? Just like a lot of things I think the Germans had it right with the faster twist to shoot bullets in a shorter more manageable rifle.

I always king of thought that originally the rifles were longer for bayonet usage during battle. As soon as guerilla tactics came into play, rifles got shorter.

Ok now let the tar and feathers fly!

I do stand corrected though. Extra barrel length does add a bit of extra velocity even with black powder. That being said after about 30 inches in length there is a bit of diminishing returns for more steel to swing around.

On a ballistic calculator you gain about 100 FPS from 32" to 42". That is with a .495" ball with 90 grains of powder. Maybe a Jaeger with a long fast twist 45 barrel? Lol

Taking perhaps a step back for a minute, Dunlap Woodcrafts offers Jaeger components and Knob Mountain offers stocks.

I do know what you mean, however. I'm a fan of club butts and the early English utility muskets (re: Bailey's Small Arms of British Forces in America, pg 114-117) and Dutch pinned muskets. Not many people make them and they seem under-represented in the shooting and living history hobbies despite how prevalent they were historically.

Taking perhaps a step back for a minute, Dunlap Woodcrafts offers Jaeger components and Knob Mountain offers stocks.

I do know what you mean, however. I'm a fan of club butts and the early English utility muskets (re: Bailey's Small Arms of British Forces in America, pg 114-117) and Dutch pinned muskets. Not many people make them and they seem under-represented in the shooting and living history hobbies despite how prevalent they were historically.
Interesting I will look into it! Another good line of muskets that I find pretty neat is the Potsdam muskets. They had some big bore offerings. Be something different than a Bess. Thanks

I used a Jukar barrel turned half round and a wedding ring added Siler lock half stock of straight grain maple Lancaster style trigger guard and butt plate under rib from an old single barrel shotgun and put it all together. Looks good to me and is one of my preferred rifles to carry. Well balanced and about 7 pounds and very accurate 45 caliber. Goes to show any blind pig can find an acorn once in a while.

Summer of my 7th year found a Mossberg ,22 semi auto sitting behind a door in grandmother's home in SW VA hills. Rear sight missing. Shade tree mechanic cousin brazed or soldered a small metal washer atop the rear of the receiver. In a couple of days I was shooting "minute of squirrel". I lost that rifle to a burglar when I was 45. Still hate the SOB.

Sherman Lamie had a store and gas pump at the blacktop at the foot of our hollow. He broke boxes of .22 LR and sold them by the cartridge. He liked to see me coming down the hollow.

I believe many old ml rifles were re purposed by re stocking , re rifling , cutting down the barrel , repurposing old locks , converting locks from flint to cap , cutting down the fore end . putting new locks on old guns etc , Any rifle re stocked would have most probably be stocked in the fashion, time and place where the stocker lived .

I believe many old ml rifles were re purposed by re stocking , re rifling , cutting down the barrel , repurposing old locks , converting locks from flint to cap , cutting down the fore end . putting new locks on old guns etc , Any rifle re stocked would have most probably be stocked in the fashion, time and place where the stocker lived .
if you read the write up that the Foxfire books did on Hacker Martin that is exactly what he was doing. I'm sure he wasn't the only one doing it.

Most old time gunmakers were very frugal and if a barrel, lock, triggers, whatever were still functioning they had no problems repurposing them. I've worked on many "originals" that were obviously built from a mismatch of parts.

I just recently took the stock and it's hardware, triggers and trigger guard from a match rifle that was no longer being used and rebuilt it to fit a nitch in my battery of using guns.

Attachments

• DSCN4675.JPG
    DSCN4675.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I didn't build any of my guns but on one of them, especially, I got exactly what I wanted. I never cared whether or not my rifle looked like a picture in a book or a rifle in a museum, I wanted what I wanted. My only .50 and it fits me like a glove. It does have "early" features but several styles can be seen with close examination. The barrel is a 38" X "B" wgt barrel X .50 caliber and weighs only 7 lbs 2 oz.
7405ae69-0012-4efa-886d-2651c9c08aae-zpswsnzqleq-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back