• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay29

Pilgrim
Reaction score
In the market for a hand built custom Pennsylvania type flintlock mostly for paper target shooting. Who is a good builder? Caliber? Barrel length? I have a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 50 cal flinter. Would like a long Penn style flinter that is custom made. Thx

You want Brad and Sean Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzle Loading in Hallam PA. It won't be cheap. But it will be a work of art. Mine is.
Caliber, barrel length etc: You need an appointment to visit them,. But they will help you with all of that.

In the market for a hand built custom Pennsylvania type flintlock mostly for paper target shooting. Who is a good builder? Caliber? Barrel length? I have a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 50 cal flinter. Would like a long Penn style flinter that is custom made. Thx

I did the same some years back, deciding to graduate to a top maker/custom Pennsylvania style rifle from the nice, but more generic style kits/finished rifles I had used for many years. Once decided, I quickly realized that “Pennsylvania style” covers a very wide range of makers/designs over a span of decades, Just one mans experience and opinion, but given the size of the investment, wait times, and the large number of very qualified craftsman, doing some homework/research narrowing down the particular style(original maker, era, specification, etc), with the goal of finding that particular flintlock that “talks to you” can add immensely to the finished product, and pride of ownership.
My Early Lancaster Dickert style made by Marvin Kemper that will likely follow me to the grave. Used for targets and hunting.
9BF6E39D-9907-4B95-AB62-8BCA4F7FB7C5.jpeg

First decide your budget, what style, and caliber you want. Then look around for a used rifle that fits you. A swamped barrel will balance better. Most high end rifles aren't hurt. Ask for a 3 day non-shooting inspection. Depending on where you live there are muzzlelaoding shows around. There is one in Lawrenceburg, Indiana near Cinncinnati, OH this weekend. Another in north Alabama in January.

Back