• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Bess at the range-

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On Monday, my Brother Taylor, and I went out to the rod and gun club shooting the flinters. I was sighting in the .50 barrel on the long rifle, while Taylor said he needed practice with his Bess shooting patched round ball. We also both wanted to try out Stumpy's Moose Snot in these guns.
: The target rack was placed at 49yds.(lazer range finder) from the benches and was frozen into the ground so we couldn't move it. So be it. Targets were posted.
: Taylor started out shooting the Bess with spit patch, using a coloured Pidgeon target I printed off the internet for an aiming point. His charge was 100gr. 2F, .735 Ball with a .030" Denim patch. This combination measures .795" total, which gives .010" compression on each side for the ball in his .775" Colerain barrel. It sounds tight, but isn't excessively so, loading easily with the Bess's hickory rod.
: His first shot hit the bird dead centre in the body, with succeeding shots liberally sprinked around and on it, striking the bird 3 times out of the 6 shots. It was a correct sized barn pigeon (homing pigeon) target. His group size for the 6 rounds, 3 with spit and 3 with Stumpies Moose Snot was 6" - all shot standing. He's older now, but is still a good shot. I know many fellows who can't shoot 6" at 50yds. offhand with rifles, let alone a bayonette lugged smoothbore.
: The reason for this post, is to show people that smoothbores will shoot quite accurately, and one must experiment to find accurate loads. Tight loads have always shot well for him from his Besses, whether his first back in the 70's, a Navy Arms, probably Pedersoli, to the custom Bess's he's made since then. He believes the secret is the thick Denim patch material as it holds lots of lube, and compresses more easily than ticking. This may be the reason Denim seems to require a tighter combo than does ticking material. As well, he reported that Moose Snot shot cleaner than the spit he's preferred untill now. We merely pressed a wad of it into the patch, spread it around, squeezing it into the patch material betwen thumb and forefinger, then loaded with short starter as normal.
: I hope suggestions here help with your smoothbore ball pelter.
BessandBayonet.jpg

Shooting big bore Besses is a real hoot! Love the plug bayonet though...not the kind of thing you see often.

Looks like a beautiful Long Land Pattern Bess! I went up to the Contemporary Longrifle Association Show in Lexington, KY this year, and saw a custom Long Land Pattern Bess up there....I think he had a 1728 dated lockplate (repro of course).

You are correct, a properly loaded smoothbore can be quite accurate. In fact, if I'm shooting off-hand at 25 or 30 yards, my 2nd. Model Brown Bess will literally group better than my AK-47, and yes, I've even tested this by firing them on the same day. At such distances, if I fire a 5 shot group with my Brown Bess, it is common for all of my shots to touch one another.

Once again, that looks like a very nice gun your brother made.

This lock plate is also 1728. It is a nice gun to shoot and has the proper width barrel, 1.4something". The guns from India (from all importers) are well over 1/8" too thin at the breech to be 'correct'. The difference is dramatic.
: I seem to recall this stock coming from Track when we drove accorss the states, in the mid 1990's. I know we stopped for it, somewhere along the route home(bit out of the way, though).

Tks - the pictures don't do it justice, really.
: Here's a couple more smoothbores he's made. They all shoot ball very well. I am hoping to come across the 12 bore double, someday. It has the recessed breeches similar to Manton's patent.
: These pictures don't show that the bevels on the lock plate edges are engraved all the way around.
: Rather striking wood, two walnut, one Black Walnut, one English Walnut and 1 fiddleback maple.
: The single-shot 20 bore, is a copy of an original French piece that Taylor has, except for the choice of wood.
:
20BoreSingleFowler.jpg

:
Stock%20and%20Locks.jpg

:
Tang%20and%20Trigger%20Guard%20Tail.jpg

Back