• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Current print old cookbooks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalashaska

32 Cal
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend any old cookbooks that would be easy to follow these days? I've watched Townsends and Early American on YouTube and trieddon't. Of theirs but wanted to know if there's any channels or books others may know about I dont.

A program called A Taste of History was on PBS for a number of years doing early recipes. There are a couple of cookbooks from the show. Online it looks like they run $10-$20. I used to watch it regularly. Most cooking was done on a fireplace. It wasn’t exactly heart healthy given the amounts of butter, cream and eggs used.

A program called A Taste of History was on PBS for a number of years doing early recipes. There are a couple of cookbooks from the show. Online it looks like they run $10-$20. I used to watch it regularly. Most cooking was done on a fireplace. It wasn’t exactly heart healthy given the amounts of butter, cream and eggs used.
There's a show on YouTube called tasting history with Max Miller but he does recipes across all of history. I'll check it out thanks for the recommendation.

The Whitehouse Cookbook from 1887 can be had here for free. It's interesting. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/13923/13923-h/13923-h.htm
Can't beat free. Downloading it now.

Could anyone recommend any old cookbooks that would be easy to follow these days? I've watched Townsends and Early American on YouTube and trieddon't. Of theirs but wanted to know if there's any channels or books others may know about I dont.
Screenshot_20230329-070934_Kindle.jpg

Available on Amazon. Great read, not just for the recipes. One can glean a lot of info abou the time period from her writings about choosing various ingredients.

"The Settlement Cookbook" is a great older cookbook, not sure it's original publication date, but I would bet that it is still in print.

Back