• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Current percussion cap source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody2306

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Does anybody happen to have a current online percussion cap source? I have had great success with the cci magnums but can't find any in stock. And when I do I Google review the site and seems I come across a lot of scam sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Im gonna try out the tap a cap maker. I have a few tims of cci mags . So I will try the tap a cap amd see how that goes.

I've had a tap a can for years. I made a few add ons to help.
Paint stir sticks that I drilled several holes to hold the caps after forming.
A spent large pistol or rifle primer. I cleaned, flattened dent out and glued to a small stick, like a large tooth pick.
A small glass dish, about the size of the cup for ketchup at McDonald's. Don't use plastic due to static.
Mix by directions, use little scoop to add mix to cap while held in paint stir. Then add the acetone by directions. After they are dried. Spray them with light coat of sealer. I use Acrylic Sealer from a craft store. A light coat do not paint them. When dry them will be water proof and stand up to alot more handling.
Make some up and bust them, listen to them. I hang a paper a couple of inches from the muzzle to compare.

Yeah I just ordered black powder from them . They have the rws for 75 bucks for 250 caps. I was thinking if doing that. But sounds pretty expensive. I order the tap a cap with 3 extra all prime packs and see how those work.
I use the cap maker and the Prime-All. Be very sure to use only antistatic things to mix the material. I use a glass shot glass and a thin wood dowel to mix. You'll need something very small to put the powder into the caps. I found a package of micro antistatic spoons on Amazon that will be perfect. I, myself, have changed the mix to a safer blend that I will use when my Prime-All is gone. Use acetone instead alcohol as your setting agent. It works better.

In a passing conversation with my tool and die maker the other day. I asked him the cost to make a set of progressive dies for making brass or copper cups identical to the factory percussion caps minus the priming compound. He looked at a few Remington caps and said a minimum of $12,000 to make the dies. Then you would have to figure the cost of brass or copper stock, roll slit where it would feed the press on a roll feed in order to be cost effective. He said you would have to sell 750,000 @ .02 cents a piece before you would start to see a profit. Who ever bought the finished cups @ $2.00 per hundred, would still have to load with primer in order to have a functioning cap. Just a passing thought that I let float on down the river.

In a passing conversation with my tool and die maker the other day. I asked him the cost to make a set of progressive dies for making brass or copper cups identical to the factory percussion caps minus the priming compound. He looked at a few Remington caps and said a minimum of $12,000 to make the dies. Then you would have to figure the cost of brass or copper stock, roll slit where it would feed the press on a roll feed in order to be cost effective. He said you would have to sell 750,000 @ .02 cents a piece before you would start to see a profit. Who ever bought the finished cups @ $2.00 per hundred, would still have to load with primer in order to have a functioning cap. Just a passing thought that I let float on down the river.
I think I put $189 into the cap maker and the .22 LR reloading set plus three packs of priming compound. Did my research and ordering and now have supplies to make/ prime/ load many thousands of rounds/ caps at less than nominal cost. Plus, it's just fun. The caps I make will work for all of my bp arms. So, I'm good.

Last edited:
I think I put $189 into the cap maker and the .22 LR reloading set plus three packs of priming compound. Did my research and ordering and now have supplies to make/ prime/ load many thousands of rounds/ caps at less than nominal cost. Plus, it's just fun. The various I make will work for all of my bp arms. So, I'm good.
I had my die maker take a look at the cap maker you are referring to and he said it looks like it does a good job for a hammer and punch type of die, and it would be hard to beat the cost that it sells for. He also said, it would more than likely produce better caps if you used soft brass or copper shim stock since it would be softer than aluminum can stock. He said it should form a cleaner cap, of course, that would be an added expense.

I had my die maker take a look at the cap maker you are referring to and he said it looks like it does a good job for a hammer and punch type of die, and it would be hard to beat the cost that it sells for. He also said, it would more than likely produce better caps if you used soft brass or copper shim stock since it would be softer than aluminum can stock. He said it should form a cleaner cap, of course, that would be an added expense.
The aluminum caps are quite sturdy. Don't think they'll let me down. And I've lots of cans.

The aluminum caps are quite sturdy. Don't think they'll let me down. And I've lots of cans.
Are those folded prongs on the finished edge as sharp as they look in the photos? They look as sharp as upholstery tacks.

Back