• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Curlys .72 caliber north west trade gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sooo through an interesting twist of fate I reached out to a gentleman who is on the forum bc if something he said about a gun from a couple years back. He said he had a .72 caliber north west trade gun made by Curly, and Curly told him that he only made 10 of those guns bc people didn’t really want the .72 they wanted the .62s. Iv had my trade gun for a little while now and assumed it was a gun Curly made but wasn’t completely sure, so I reached out to toot and asked him to describe his gun. I told him that I too have a .72 caliber NW Trade gun and the gun I have lined up exactly to what he had! So I sent over some pictures and he verified. So if the story is true and Curly only made 10 of these guns in this caliber it would be interesting to see if anyone else might have one of the 10! Seems like we know of where two of em are and I figured if anyone on the internet would have one they would probably be here hahah so does anyone know of or possibly own one of these guns??

It's hard not to take a beatin' with a 4.5lb 12 bore.
Hahaha this is true! I was shooting 90grans with a patched round ball but talked to toot and he said he does well with 70 so I brought it down to that and am happy with it! It’s really not that bad but then again I haven’t shot any smoothbores other then this one bc it’s what I got. A lot of ppl shy away from the gun but again it really isn’t to bad and is a joy to carry! I hope we come across someone else who owns one on this site!

Sooo through an interesting twist of fate I reached out to a gentleman who is on the forum bc if something he said about a gun from a couple years back. He said he had a .72 caliber north west trade gun made by Curly, and Curly told him that he only made 10 of those guns bc people didn’t really want the .72 they wanted the .62s. Iv had my trade gun for a little while now and assumed it was a gun Curly made but wasn’t completely sure, so I reached out to toot and asked him to describe his gun. I told him that I too have a .72 caliber NW Trade gun and the gun I have lined up exactly to what he had! So I sent over some pictures and he verified. So if the story is true and Curly only made 10 of these guns in this caliber it would be interesting to see if anyone else might have one of the 10! Seems like we know of where two of em are and I figured if anyone on the internet would have one they would probably be here hahah so does anyone know of or possibly own one of these guns??
Of these 10 I have no idea but I made a 12 bore from N Star barrel & parts stocked in English beech had it proofed in Birmingham which is an obligation in UK. got it blued at Bailley & Onions and took it & a 20 bore stocked in maple to the US sent both to N' star he bought them both he described the 12 bore as a Leman (not lemon !) and that's all I know of a Tg of that bore though I stocked up a gun / rifle interchange' Chiefs' gun for a Mr Gene Mayer who at the time sold trade silver and general ml ers merchandise near Greenville O . I earlier made a brace of trappers pistols for a Mr Phallen both proofed in UK & each had a shortened Serpent for the side plate if NO idea if such where so made but these two where .I did buy his oct to round 12 bores but these where made into fowling pieces mostly for the UK trade. One barrel he hed goofed on leaveing the wall so thin at mid point it wasnt salable so he gave it me & I fitted it into a rifle gun made up of his parts but engraved the top flat ' A Nother ' & used it my self no need to proof if for own use its now down here .' Another' is the term used when a gun gets re barreled not by the original maker at auctions and implies its perhaps secondary in terms of desirability but again they are in proof or they can't be offered That barrel wouldn't have admitted of fine boreing & the Proof house wont proof it with that ripple visible .If it lets go which I doubt I could allways make a carbine ?
Rudyard

Of these 10 I have no idea but I made a 12 bore from N Star barrel & parts stocked in English beech had it proofed in Birmingham which is an obligation in UK. got it blued at Bailley & Onions and took it & a 20 bore stocked in maple to the US sent both to N' star he bought them both he described the 12 bore as a Leman (not lemon !) and that's all I know of a Tg of that bore though I stocked up a gun / rifle interchange' Chiefs' gun for a Mr Gene Mayer who at the time sold trade silver and general ml ers merchandise near Greenville O . I earlier made a brace of trappers pistols for a Mr Phallen both proofed in UK & each had a shortened Serpent for the side plate if NO idea if such where so made but these two where .I did buy his oct to round 12 bores but these where made into fowling pieces mostly for the UK trade. One barrel he hed goofed on leaveing the wall so thin at mid point it wasnt salable so he gave it me & I fitted it into a rifle gun made up of his parts but engraved the top flat ' A Nother ' & used it my self no need to proof if for own use its now down here .' Another' is the term used when a gun gets re barreled not by the original maker at auctions and implies its perhaps secondary in terms of desirability but again they are in proof or they can't be offered That barrel wouldn't have admitted of fine boreing & the Proof house wont proof it with that ripple visible .If it lets go which I doubt I could allways make a carbine ?
Rudyard
Thank you for the great information!! I really enjoyed reading your post, though you don’t have one of those guns per say you do have parts of the unicorn .72!

Thank you for the great information!! I really enjoyed reading your post, though you don’t have one of those guns per say you do have parts of the unicorn .72!
Dear Ibothell .You lost me re the ' Unicorn' bit 72 is I suppose 12 bore or guage as you might say .But I'me pleased you liked my response I have Part s for several guns one 12 bore is a N star breached & proofed it just never got used I plan to stock up five barrels for flint guns & I have a breached & proofed & browned for a 24 bore chiefs govt fusils I made five to date but 4 where in the white of chiefs this is ,befeathered Indian Head Curly G's parts even got the star inlay on the foresight but shipping to the US is a Bain now made so by our stupid Govt .& post office union berks who dont want to sully their members with anything gun related! Know anyone based in Antartica ?might be one way . Regards Rudyard

Dear Ibothell .You lost me re the ' Unicorn' bit 72 is I suppose 12 bore or guage as you might say .But I'me pleased you liked my response I have Part s for several guns one 12 bore is a N star breached & proofed it just never got used I plan to stock up five barrels for flint guns & I have a breached & proofed & browned for a 24 bore chiefs govt fusils I made five to date but 4 where in the white of chiefs this is ,befeathered Indian Head Curly G's parts even got the star inlay on the foresight but shipping to the US is a Bain now made so by our stupid Govt .& post office union berks who dont want to sully their members with anything gun related! Know anyone based in Antartica ?might be one way . Regards Rudyard
My apologies I meant .72 caliber or as you said 12 gauge

Understatement. He was a wonderful person. And maybe the best camp cook ever. He always had a pot full of his latest creation and happy to share.
NEVER EVER camp next to him and his crew. Made that mistake back in the early 80's. They stay up and drink all night and sleep all day. Most of that old crew have probably passed on by now.

NEVER EVER camp next to him and his crew. Made that mistake back in the early 80's. They stay up and drink all night and sleep all day. Most of that old crew have probably passed on by now.

You say that like it was a bad thing! I camped with him many times. You are correct in many of us are gone now.
You can tell it's us, we're the ones complaining now about noise after sundown!

My first trade gun was a Curly 12 bore, made by Phil Creech, if I recall correctly. It was not fun to shoot, so I got a .20 bore from Curly.

any one who had the pleasure of knowing CURLY & ERMA. will never forget them. they are both gone but will never be forgotten! after he died I be leave that it was picked up by NORTH STAR WEST, and they only made 20 gauge ones? I maybe wrong, and I think that they are gone now?

Latest posts

Back