• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curly maple stock blank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a highly figured curly maple half stock. Any recommendations wher.e I can contact a good supplier?

How accomplished a builder are you, and what is your budget? If you really want to, you can spend $1500 (and possibly even more) for a maple blank. Places like Dunlaps won't let go their super duper premium blanks to get sold and go just anybody. You might have to show them pictures of your past work. for them, it's almost like you're interviewing to adopt one of their puppies.

It took me a year of searching with Daniel there before he found the right blank for me on my last build. And that was after about an hour-long conversation of him wanting to know more about me. My prospective father-in-law didn't ask as many questions when I was asking him for his daughter's hand!

I have sold enough over the years I guess, but it has never been a business for me. What gun craftsmen can afford to spend 100+ hours on a Hawken or a couple hundred+ hours on a long gun. Years ago I found an old gentleman who had a one-man-band sawmill and had some really excellent maple he had dried over many years. By the time I got around making guns from them, the wood was very well seasoned. I purchased quite a bit of wood from him, but he is no longer with us. The curly maple was very inexpensive but made very good stocks. I purchased a blank from Dunlap and I just left it up to Daniel for a good one.

Latest posts

Back